Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NOTES WITHIN A SKETCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

rep001

Mechanical
Apr 15, 2006
US
IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE A NOTE IN A SKETCH. A WAY OF NOTING DESIGN INTENT? I WANT TO KEEP IT IN THE SKETCH, AND ONLY BE VISABLE THERE.
THANKS
ROBERT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
There is no way to create text in a sketch.This may be an acceptable alternative:
Create a custom view,(View>Operation>SaveAs...) you can name the view any name, perhaps call it Sketch1.Then put the sketch in the custom view (as opposed to one of the "canned views") by default the text will be "View Dependent" (will only show in that particular view). To create text in a model view, you have to launch the drafting application, then toggle off "Display Sheet" in the Drawing Layout toolbar. You will be working in the model, but using the drafting application. Orient your WCS: the xy is the plane that the text will appear on, at the z location.

Good luck,

'ziner

Peace Through Superior Fire-Power!

You can add a comment to a parameter. For instance 'p82=12.5 //this controls the angle of the dinglearm on the widget'. The system will ignore everything beyond the double slash '//'.

Also, you should search on the term 'visual editor' in the help files. This lets you make a 'cartoon' of the model and parameters. I've not used it myself, so I can't comment too much on it. Maybe it would let you add comments.

A Sketch is also a 'feature' object, and like other objects in UGS NX, you can assign attributes, which can also be used to help document Design Intent. And don't forget that assigning descriptive names to the Sketch Dimensions (Constraints) can also be used to help indicate Design Intent.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
UGS NX Product Line
SIEMENS
UGS PLM Software
Cypress, CA

Try this... open the sketch, go to 'prefs/sketch' and select 'retain dimensions'.

You can now select the sketch dimension from the model, right-click and select 'edit' where you will get access to the annotation toolbar. Append your text from there.

Ed

Excellent help guys, once again ENG-TIPS has all the answers. I think in my case I will use the “//” technique, but I want to thank all of you for your help.
Thank You
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back