Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NOVEC System Discharge Testing - Required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomosSmith

Mechanical
Nov 7, 2007
QA
Hello,

We have a couple of Novec systems installed in some server rooms on our project.

We have installed the systems and completed the room inegrity tests and other checks in accordance with NFPA2001.

However, our Divisional Fire Officer (AHJ) is insisting on a full discharge test to be conducted.

Understandibly we don't want to do a full discharge test due to the cost of the Novec.

As per my understanding NFPA2001 recommends against discharge testing due to it's impact on the environment.

I'm wondering can anyone offer any assistance in providing any other references or information relating to the requirement for discharge testing, which would help in my discussions with our AHJ?

Thanks,
Tom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. ask him for a NFPA section reference requireing the dump

2. ask him if there is a local admendment requireing the dump

did the ahj do plan review and give you commnents back?????

would politely tell him no, if he cannot produce the above, and just going by " because I want it"

other than that if he still wants it start going up the appeal from his boss on up, till you find intelligent life.

You might bring in the owner, once you give them the tab for doing a dump, to talk to the ahj also.

We were asked by a AHJ to do a full discharge test but we got him to agree on a nitrogen discharge test with the exact sixe containers as we supplied for the hazard.

""""We were asked by a AHJ to do a full discharge test but we got him to agree on a nitrogen discharge test with the exact sixe containers as we supplied for the hazard. """"""

and that proves nitrogen will come out of the nozzles???

Thanks for the comments.

Yes I'm going to try again with him. I also found references in the BS/EN/ISO standard and also an FM standard which recommends against the discharge test.

Cheers,
Tom

On the same line.

From NFPA 2001 (2008).

7.1.1: Discharge test is NOT required.

Apendix 7.7.2.2.10. Discharge test is NOT recommended.

NFPA admits the possibility of a discharge test: 7.7.2.2.10, 11... to test the design concentration, it says that it is made by aprox. room volume considerations and weighting the loss of agent in tanks, there is not a direct measurement concentration (eg. like in a CO2 system), so there is not a real test when you perform a discharge test, just an aprox. based on the design numbers.

What does the manufacture says?

If your AHJ asks for it, ask him if he´s asking you to perform a test that is not endorsed by NFPA (or the manufacturer), if it is not in the contract, is he paying for it?.

When performing the discharge test you may need money not only for the gas but for the accessories that may need to be replaced (o rings, disks, etc) depending on the manufacturer.

No point in using Nitrogen to simulate a Novec discharge. ¿A gas like N2 will flow and disperse like Novec? ¿A Novec nozzle works the same way with N2? Te N2 test is just to test the system parts against obstructions.

Just in case. A test of a discharge to see how a fire, candle or match is extinguished is not a real test but a nice demonstration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back