Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Nozzle attachment with shell/head

Status
Not open for further replies.

lp2124

Mechanical
Apr 5, 2023
IN
can i provide only groove without fillet in nozzle to shell connection?
FIG. UW-16 gives attachment with fillet.
ASME SEC VIII DIV 1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The minimum requirements for attachment welds at opening are provided in ASME VIII-1, UW-16.
Fittings not exceeding DN80, as shown in Figure UW-16.2 may be attached to a vessel from the outside only.
See UW-16(f)(3).

yes r6155...In this case the fillet weld to the outside of shell is not possible due to jacket around the shell.(because the nozzle will attached after jacket setup. so we have to weld from inside of vessel shell only.)
can i provide fillet with the some inside projection?
can i use fig.uw-16 for inside projection? is it applicable?

Since this is not a standard fitting, I believe UW-16(e) would apply up to NPS 6, which may be welded from inside or outside only.

As I recall, there are particular rules for nozzle reinforcement in jacketed vessels, may or may not apply to the OPs query. Apx 9 I believe.

Regards

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

this is the case
Screenshot_2023-07-06_085141_pjb7u7.png

this is standard 50DN NOZZLE..

vessel have 200 DN Nozzle too..where UW-16(e) Iis not applicable

Probably also worth stating that UW-16.1 only provides some acceptable types of connections, it doesn't exclude other types of welded connections not explicitly listed. There is no detail provided for a shell connection through a jacket. Appendix 9, 9-6 would only refer back to U-2(g) IMO, whereby the above approach may be suitable.

See Figure UW-19.1 (e).
Fillet welding is for a smooth transition or for reinforcement. None of them are necessary in this case.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back