Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NPSHa for the pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

gosooners

Chemical
Jul 21, 2007
US
How do I calculate NPSHa for the pump where suction of the pump is discharge of other pump? Pump 'A' is pumping liquid at 90F with discharge pressure 220 Psig. Pump 'B' has suction pressure of 220 psig, which is discharge of Pump 'A'. Pump 'A' has suction from the storage tank, and storage tank pressure is 190 psig @80F.
What value should I consider for Vapor pressure? What will NPSHa?

thanks,
gosooners

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you calculating the NPSHa for Pump A or Pump B?

I don't understand, is the inlet temperature of Pump A 80F or 90F? Or are you saying that there is a 10F temperature rise across Pump A?

Use the vapor pressure of fluid at 80F for calculating NPSHa of Pump A. Use the vapor pressure at 90F for calculating NPSHa of Pump B.

The total NPSHa calculation also depends on elevation changes, pipe system friction losses and fluid velocity. We don't know any of those with the information you have included.

For Pump B NPSHa, start out with P1=220 PSIG. Subtract friction losses, vapor pressure at 90F, velocity head, add or subtract elevation losses (whatever is the case).

Obviously, use the appropriate procedure when converting from head to PSI if necessary. Also, and again obviously, consider PSIA v PSIG.

JRLAKE

I am trying to calculate NPSHa for Pump B. Inlet temperature of Pump A is 80 F. And discharge of 'A' is appx. 90 F. both pumps 'A' and 'B' are closest and there is negligible elevation change between these two pumps. How do I get vapor pressure at suction of pump B at 90F. From simulation True vapor pressure is at 100 F is 240 psia, which is higher than suction pressure of pump which is 220 psig. This is the confusing part.

thanks,
gosooners

That simply means its not enough NPSH.

Pump A must be run at a higher speed-head, or its suction pressure upped sufficiently, or changed out completely so that the discharge pressure is higher than the vapor pressure at pump A's discharge temperature + the NPSH Required of the second pump B.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, its what we know for sure" - Mark Twain

Time to review fundamental thermodynamics. The saturation pressures at identified temperatures are as follows:

80 F --> 0.507 psia
90 F --> 0.699 psia
100 F --> 0.950 psia

I2I

So is it like BigInch says? Is it a mixture? My guess is that there is a chart somewhere with this information. If it is a mixture, and if I recall correctly that vapor pressure is an intensive property, good luck with that calculation and maybe think of creating a new post on the thermo forum with that one.

JRLAKE -- ouch

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

gosooners,
You need your simulator to tell you what the mixture's vapor pressure is at 90F. Telling us what it is at 100F is of little value. (I do note however, that the vp at 100F is 240psia = 225.3psig. Since you have available 220psig at the discharge of Pump A, and assuming little delta in getting to the suction of Pump B, you are probably OK with NPSHa. But, do the math.)

Its PDC given he's discharging at roughly just right above the approximate bubble point now and he's got to control suction pressure exactly and temperatures at either suction or discharge can't vary by more than 10 F. Not much operation leeway there. On a hot day when the product in the tank is a bit warmer than usual before going into the pump ... ???

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, its what we know for sure" - Mark Twain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back