NSPH questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waramanga

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2009
AU
Hi Guys,

I am a HVAC engineer and am trying to understand NPSH better. I understand that you need a minimum amount of absolute pressure at the suction of a pump to prevent cavitation. Some pumps that I have looked at it is 1.5m of head, which is 15kpa or so. In normal HVAC closed systems we run them above atmospheric pressure, say around 400kPa or so. Say I was running a hot water system with 90 degree water in it, to avoid cavitation all I need to do is keep the suction above 385 absolute and there wont be cavitation? The reason I ask is because I am looking at a design which has a decoupled primary secondary pumping system. The secondary punmps sit out in plantrooms with varying distances to them and boiler plant, with between 15kpa and 60kpa suction line pressure drop to them. I think that this should be OK, some of the pumps will an absolute pressure at their intake lower than the system pressure but higher than the the min NPSH for the pump. All OK???? Does this system make sense. Usually we have all the field pumps in the boiler room with very short lines of equal length back to the primary circuit. What do you think?? attahced is a sketch...
Thanks for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't see the sketch. Anyway, what you said seems to make sense without it, just one thing I didn't understand,

"intake lower than the system pressure"

I'm not sure what you mean by "system pressure", perhaps you mean the atmospheric reference pressure??

No worries. NPSHR is referenced to absolute pressure.

If you have heads calculated from the absolute pressures at the pump's suction intakes that are greater than NPSHR, I would suppose that everything would probably be OK.

"I am sure it can be done. I've seen it on the internet." BigInch's favorite client.

"Being GREEN isn't easy." Kermit[frog]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back