Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nVidia FX-1400 dropping graphics 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theophilus

Mechanical
Dec 4, 2002
US
It seems my new system is having some of the same graphics issues my old system was having--only I've gone from an FX 500 to an FX 1400.

Issues include the intermittant blanking out of all dimensions from a sketch, losing edges in Shaded with Edges mode, and other similar things I'd expect from a graphics card that's not quite keeping up with everything.

My question is whether SolidWorks itself could be to blame, and a faster card won't necessarily fix the problem--or whether a faster card will definitely fix the problem.

I'm running the recommended drivers for the card, and am on SP 3.1 of 2006. I often have near nine SW windows open while working with three or more being assemblies. Assemblies often have less than 200 parts, many of which are repeated, some of which are complex forms.

Any ideas/suggestions or is anyone seeing similar results with nVidia cards?

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mine does the same thing. In fact, I've talked to a lot of people who are seeing this. Everyone I've talked to is using nVidia cards, and have the recommended drivers. It's possible that it's just a SW issue, since I think most users have nVidia cards. It's not a showstopper, but it is a nuisance.

Yeah, I was thinking I was over-running my FX 500 and therefore seeing the problems with the old system. Hmmmmm. ..

Thanks for the quick response.

Jeff Mowry

We are also seeing the same thing on various Nvidea cards. I also think its a SW issue.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
(updated 2/22/06)
SW 2006 SP 3.0

Thanks, Rob.

Is anyone seeing this on non-nVidia cards? I'm wondering if we can figure out where the problem is. It happens somewhat frequentely--sometimes my dimensions disappear and will not actually show up on the screen again (as in editing an existing sketch) without shutting down SW and restarting--big pain when I've got large assemblies running.

I've got the dimensions showing flat to the screen plane, which seemed to help with my older system--but am obviously still having some problems here.

Anyone know of any spiffy settings within the nVidia control panel that may help?

Jeff Mowry

Jeff,

I also have the FX1400 and see that very same thing with 2006 but not with 2005. I haven't check the SWx site to see if video drivers changed for 2006. I will do that and report back.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success." - Henry Ford

Have any of you tried the 7756 driver for the XPx64 OS? (from SW)

... or the 8178 or 8412 BETA drivers direct from nVidia? They are not certified or passed by SW ... but just might be what's needed.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Not yet--but may try that out soon if this persists. I don't think I'll touch the x64 drivers without the upgraded OS.

(Just crashed SW good a minute ago--doing some risky mods several layers deep in assemblies--after all these years I'm getting better and guessing what might make SW pile up like that.)

Jeff Mowry

They're just video drivers ... if they don't work they can be uninstalled.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

I had some very repeatable cases not just with dimensions, but also with sketch entities disappearing. I'm using the Quadro FX 3450 on one computer and FXGo 1400 in a laptop which I haven't seen the problem on, but I'm only now doing my first real work on it.

Same here, sketch items, dims, etc disappearing, it is a known SW problem, accoring to SW support.
I have no SPR number, because I first saw it on the x64 beta, so I reported it there and the tech there told me: "We do have an SPR for this, I have seen it before. However this issue isn't a 64 bit specific issue."

Btw, it also happens on my ATI Mobility FireGL T2-256...

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer/AI student

I've had the dim dissapearing problem with SW 2006 also. I also have a nVidia card.

I found out how it was happing though, if I want to edit a sketch and I'm not in the plane of the sketch the dim will not appear (even after selecting the proper plan after in side of sketch edit). To correct this just stop editting the sketch, select the the proper plane and then edit it again and the dimensions will appear. Pretty soon I just started to remember to select the proper plane before hitting edit. It's an annoying bug but I've now learned to live with it but I'm a part time user.

Thanks, again, for the additional feedback.

Mongo63A, I'll try out your method--I'd definitely like to get rid of the problem, so a work-around is fine with me. (I must be carrying around ten work-arounds I picked up way back in SW 97, even though those have been fixed/updated.)

Jeff Mowry

Jeff,

What video driver are you using? 6.14.10.7756 the 9/27/2005 build or 10/25/2005 build? According to SWx website the 9/27/2005 build has limitations as listed in the notes.....System instability when using over 3GB of virtual memory, may Blue Screen. This only applies if you're using a x64 OS, which I think you run? Keep us updated on any solutions

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

I am having the same problem with my M70 Laptop....Quadro fX Go 1400. I am pretty sure that the problem started when I upgraded to 2006. It happens constantly as I use this Laptop all day long....HELP.
Brandon

No, I'm not running x64 yet--but I am using a 64-bit AMD FX-60. Also, I've only got 2GB of RAM at this point, so shouldn't have the difficulties mentioned on the SW site.

I think the latter build you mentioned is what I'm using--it's whatever the 71.84 download really is when installed.

Jeff Mowry

Same issue here - very disappointing in a new release (2006). SW2005 had no issues at all and in my humble opinion was slightly quicker and less clunky to sketch in than 2006.

Running a Quadro FX go 7000 on Dell M70, SW2006 SP3 (seen the issue since SP 0)

I know of others using desktops with Quadro 1100's having same issue.

DW

Have the issue and others with my FX 3000 since I installed 06SP3. Always Had some blocky problems with 05 until SP05

Haven't seen any issues so far in 06 in SP0 and SP3 with the FX 3400. I am running with the latest driver from NVidia which I think is not the one recommended on the site.

RFUS

Ditto to Heckler. I have the FX1400 also. I've been up and down on the video driver from way back to latest with no luck. Again, no problems with 2005, and nVidia cards over the years have done well for me. This has also been discussed in other threads.

John

Hi, I'm using an ATI FireGL PCI Express graphics card, and I have the same problems, along with some others (I started a new thread on it)...must be SW '06, I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back