Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[NX 10] - Import Coloured Point Cloud (points + RGBdata) in Siemens NX 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank2288

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2015
IT
Hi, I am a NX10 user. (10.0.3)

I am currently working on a Reverse Engineering task. I need to import the reference data to start a reverse engineering process in Siemens NX 10. My data is a point cloud in .ply format. The cloud, however, has also RGB data associated with each point and I need to import that too.
In other words, I need a coloured point cloud imported in Siemens NX 10, does anyone knows if this is possible and how?

Do you know if it is possible in Siemens NX 11 maybe?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

File -> import -> points from file is the usual way to import point data. However, I don't think it will do fully what you want it to; it will probably error out on or ignore the RGB data. Some custom code could be written to import the data, but the NX palette is limited to 216 colors. If you only need a few different colors, there is an API function that takes RGB info and finds the closest color in the NX color definition file (CDF). If you need many colors (but less than 216), it might be best to define a custom CDF to match up with your input.

www.nxjournaling.com

Dear Frank,

in NX11 we can import a .pod file as a reference point cloud. This will show also the colors of the scan data.
reference_point_cloud_cj3i3w.jpg

you can use this POD file to make measurements in and can make clippings from this to hide some areas from the point cloud.

Greats

Ruud van den Brand
NX pre-sales Consultant
cards PLM Solutions B.V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back