Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX 7.5 File Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StJudas

Aerospace
Apr 2, 2013
US
I'm having an issue sending STP files created from CATIA to a customer using NX 7.5, where they will get multiples of one component in the assembly and the others will not show. We also have NX 7.5 and I am able to pull up the files with no issue at all.

When they open the step file they receive this error and overlapping parts:
“! STATUS- doing final check of body to report any faults
! STATUS-
! WARNING- solid body contains fault: 13805 - RTSTGX: Self-intersecting face surface
! WARNING- solid body (Unnamed) contains faults that could not be corrected
! WARNING-
! INFO- Filing Part ..: Z:\----\STP-files-7-30-13\-----_1
! ERROR- Unable to archive Z:\----\STP-files-7-30-13\-----_1:
! ERROR-
! ERROR- File already exists”

For this reason I sent NX 7.5 files created from the STP file, which come in flawlessly at our facility.
However when they try to open them UG pulls in one detail in the place of another so that instead of an assembly with 2 different parts they see 1 part in 2 locations. They also cannot open the 2 details at the same time or an error stating "You chose to open Z:\----\UG_FILES_7-30-13\-----_2.prt. Another version of the same part is already loaded: Z:\----\UG_FILES_7-30-13\-----_1.prt"

To me this makes no sense, especially since the files are opening correctly on our end. Has anyone else had any experience with this or have an idea as to what might be happening?

Unfortunately I cannot give much detailed information due to confidentiality.

Mold Design: Pro Engineer
Product Design: Solidworks
Aircraft Tooling: Catia V5

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My guess is they may have search paths that point to other directories that contain a file with the same name as one of your files.
If you can open it successfully in 7.5, why not save it and send them the 7.5 native file, not a STEP file.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I have as described in the last area of the post, they are still unable to open it correctly. We've now established that a parasolid file will come in correctly on their end but I am still a little confused at how both the step and NX 7.5 files wont come in correctly on their end when they work on ours.

Mold Design: Pro Engineer
Product Design: Solidworks
Aircraft Tooling: Catia V5

If the files are coming in wrong on their end, look in the log file to see which fikles are being loaded. You may find that they have parts of the same name in another directory. Also, look at their load_options and set them to load From Directory.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back