Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NX 8.5 64 bit not utilizing the CPU while doing FEA

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnusrm

Mechanical
Nov 8, 2011
NO
Hi. When i do FEA (like topology optimization), NX is only using 10-13% of CPU. Are there any settings to allow it to use more?
I have a 1month old PC withj win 7 and Intel i7 quad core CPU.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, and thanks for your reply.
Ive read through the thread, and tried to use the nastran64L.exe as solver executable, but still only 15%ish CPU usage when doing topology optimization.
This might be a bit off-topic, but when i do topo-opt, NX says that element iterative solver (EIS) is not recommended. However, EIS solves the standard FEA much faster.

As you might understand, I am not very familiar with how NX uses resources. I know that Simulia Abaqus CAE has an option where you could specify how many cores you want to use and I was hoping for a similar option in NX.

Dear Magnusrm,
Click in the study name and select command "EDIT SOLVER PARAMETERS", and under NX NASTRAN Command keywords write PARALLEL=8, this will tell to NX NASTRAN solver to use the 8 cores of your CPU (if multithreading is disable use PARALLEL=4).

If you want to have permanently issued this command whern creating any study, simply go to to "FILE > UTILITIES > CUSTOMER DEFAULTS > SIMULATION > NASTRAN" and in SOLVER PARAMETERS > ADDITIONAL KEYWORDS enter PARALLEL=8, and you are done, OK?.

customer_defaults.png

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48011 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Status
Not open for further replies.