Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX CANT MAKE A DRAFT ON A CURVED SURFACE

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasinka

Mechanical
Mar 14, 2013
US
WTF NX??
I HAVE A BOSS ON A SLIGHTLY CURVED FACE. WHY CANT NX ADD A DRAFT TO ALL SIDES OF THE BOSST BASED ON CURRENT ORIENTATION OF WALLS (CURRENT ORIENTATION OF WALLS IS NORMAL TO CURVED SURFACE) IT ASKS FOR DRAW DIRECTION AS A SINGLE VECTOR AND THUS MAKES DRAFT FROM THAT VECTOR ORIENTATION WHICH RESULTS IN DRAFT NOT BEING CORRECT BECAUSE OF CURVED SURFACE. WHY CAN'T NX MAKE A DRAFT NORMAL TO THE CURVED SURFACE?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First off all. You shouldn't use all UPPER case...On the internet this is considered shouting.

It will be difficult to evaluate your issue without an example, but...
Why did you choose to use the Boss feature? this is an old feature. You are better of using a sketch with extrusion. If the draft still doens't work then you can apply it before you Unite the cylinder with the curved surface.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

PEBKAC.

From the NX Help Docs:

"Boss

Use this option to create a boss on a planar surface or datum plane."

Not sure how this feature got on a curved surface without a Datum Plane - regardless & as already stated, wrong approach from the start. Curved surfaces do not have constant (equal) normal directions therefore, the value for the draft angle would be varying and NX wants a SINGLE angle value relative to the draw direction, parting line, etc. when dealing with draft. However, Law Extension can deal with angles based off of surface normals, regardless of shape. That would probably make more sense to use IMO.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.1.11 MP8
GM GPDL 11-A.3.3
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

I was frustrated to a small extend yesterday :)
Here is a picture of what I am talking about.
when I said boss i meant a positive feature on the curved surface. I needed to add draft to the perimeter of that positive feature. I wasnt talking about the boss command in NX.
ignore the blend on top, I added that after draft was created.

draft_2_mhlslb.jpg

With the draft command, the angle is measured w.r.t. the given draw direction, not a surface normal. If you need something to follow the face normals, you will need to use different features such as the law extension (mentioned by Xwheelguy) or perhaps a swept that uses a face for the orientation.

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back