Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX Drafting - Always requires update when I open the file

Status
Not open for further replies.

jknott

Mechanical
Aug 7, 2014
US
I am a new user to the site but have always come here for help by looking at existing threads. Seeing how I could not find a thread on this topic I created a profile and am starting one now.

I have a large assembly file drawing that for some reason requires me to update the views each time I open it. I have tried adjusting the load options, I have tried using tools --> update --> interpart update --> update all as well as tools --> update --> update for external changes.

My update report shows that a bunch of my parts have (2), (3), (4), and very few (5) designations however I don't know what to do to fix this. Any suggestions?

I am running NX 7.5.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you saying the Drawing itself is flagged as 'Out-of-Date', as indicated in the lower left corner of the Drawing display, or are you referring to the file name being tagged as '(Modified)' at the top of the NX window? Well if it's a Drawing of a large assembly, even if only a single Component has been opened and a change was made, even if that change will not actually change the appearance of anything on the Drawing, the Drawing will still be flagged as 'Out-of-Date'.

Now the out-of-the-box default is to set Drawings so that view updates are delayed. That is, when you open a Drawing even if there were changes to the part(s), you'll need to do a manual 'Update Views' operation. Now you can change a setting so that your Drawing will automatically update when opened if any changes are detected in the model(s).

To change this option, while your drawing is open, go to...

Preferences -> Drafting -> View

...and the first item in the section of the dialog labeled 'Update', toggle OFF the 'Delay View Update' option, hit OK and then save your Drawing.

Now this will cause the system to update your Drawing whenever you open it if a change is detected which would normally flag the Drawing as 'Out-of-Date'. Note that this will tend to slow-down file opening because an update will likely need to be done. This is why the default is to delay the view update giving the user full control over when he wishes to expend the time to update the Drawing. But that's up to you...

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

It is actually showing me both. I see that each sheet is marked "[Out of Date]" as soon as I open the drawing and I also get the "(Modified)" denoted at the top of the part. The weird thing is that even right after I update everything and all looks good, if I close out the assembly and then reopen it (which would give no time for someone to make a change to a component inside of the assembly) it does the same thing and opens the drawing file needing updates for all of the sheets and views.

I also have a seperate exploded assembly file that calls in a copy (not the same assembly file as the one denoted before) of the same assembly model and it does something similar but only requires 4 of the 13 sheets to be updated. This leads me to believe the issue lies with one or some of the components in my assembly but I don't know what to do.

Jarrett

You are Saving that Drawing after you do the 'Update Views' operation, correct?

Are there any interpart links, such as WAVE or interpart expressions? These can cause the parts seen in the Drawing to change as well and unless the parent parts are saved it could continue to indicate that there are changes in your model(s).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Could this be a case of some of the components being from an older version?
When they get opened and automatically upgraded to the latest version, this can make them appear 'modified'.

Graham Inchley, Systems Developer.
NX6, NX8.5(testing)

Yes I am saving the part each time after doing 'Update Views' as well as a part cleanup and the updates described in my first post. I do not have any interpart links in my assembly, every part is parametric and all of the models are in the same folder.

Jarrett

Do a Save All on the assembly after updating everything and see what happens. It sounds like you have some part in your structure that is from an earlier version of NX.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I have tried the Save All command and that doesn't seem to work either. I am thinking I am going to have to just take the short cut and have it automatically update upon opening which is really a last alternative. I would rather not hand off the assembly models to the customer with this issue happening but I don't see too many other options.

Jarrett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back