NX Part File Version checker 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

UGMENTALCASE

Aerospace
Oct 10, 2011
GB
Morning all,

Is there a way to check which version a part file is without opening it? I've recently updated to NX 9 from 7.5 and had to reinstall my OS due to disk errors etc. So I didn't reinstall 7.5 because we are now using 9. Trouble is I've been asked to check the files are saved in 7.5 and not 9. I'm fairly sure they are but need to check.

I found I think on this forum a similar thing to check catia parts, it's like a small .exe which checks them and tells you what version they are in.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I used to have a GRIP program that would parse a whole directory and report the file name and the version of UG/NX that it was saved in.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

With Catia you can open the file with Notepad and search for "ToRead". You will find something like, "...MinimalVersionToRead CATIAV5R20..."
I have opened an NX file in Notepad but have not been unable to find anything that states the version.

Extract the .bat file from the attached zip file and when you run it, it will edit the registry so that when you right-click an NX Part file in an explorer window you'll get TWO new options, one to show the last version of NX that the Part file was saved in and one to show whether the Part file is an Assembly or not, something else that's often handy to know before actually attempting to open a Part file.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=05089a96-1b29-4d52-be66-61291157bf82&file=Add_Explorer_context_menu_commands_for_prt.7z
Hi John,
I tried to run the .bat file but it is not working. When I right click the part file, the two options didn't come out.
Is there anything I need to edit in the .bat file? Thank you.

Worked for me.

rmbb_xxjcxm.png

It's best if you run the .bat from a Window's command prompt. Also you may need to have admin privilege to apply this globally so that it's in effect for all users.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Afternoon guys, thanks for the feedback. Got the file running. When I tested it on a known 7.5 part it reads it fine, but when I tried it on nx 9 part I get an error. Error shown on attachment. I think this may be because I have two versions of NX on my laptop and it's using 7.5 checker not the nx 9 checker. Any advice?

Cheers

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f1d59074-ef3f-407b-859d-913a338dd327&file=Nx_checker.png
Depending on what order you installed the NX versions, you may have to set the path to the newer version in the bat file.

I launch NX9 or 10 with a bat file file from NXcustom

when I use those version checker mine launches the NX10 version of inspect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back