Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX STEP214 Import into (Daimler) start model

Status
Not open for further replies.

hupsnx

Automotive
May 26, 2015
DE
Hallo everybody,
I am trying to convert a large (CATIA) assembly to NX via STEP214 interface.
My problem is that I need a specific start model in NX, a Daimler conform model.

Is it possible to configure the NX STEP214 converter properly to use a specific start model?
E.g. using the definition file „step214ug.def“ for that purpose?

As a workaround I tried to replace the “step214ugnullnx90_mm.prt” in the subdirectory where
the converter code is stored („STEP214UG“ directory). The result was that the converter also
used this part for the assembly models and the result was nonsense.

Perfect would be a possibility to define model- and assembly-start-part separately for the converter.

Thank you very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you not open the start part and perform File -> Import -> STEP214 or does this HAVE to be from the STEP214 interface (external to NX)?

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.2.5 Win7 Pro x64 SP1
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

Hi Xwheelguy, thanks for your reply.
I think for single part conversion your suggestion should work.
My problem is that I need to convert a large assembly (in batch mode) with lots of parts and sub-assemblies using the STEP converter batch
and therefore need a way to define my required start part for the converter-generated parts.

Hello everybody,
unfortunately no new postings here.... :-(

In my case the main problem is that the STEP converter uses the standard model “step214ugnullnx90_mm.prt” (from the STEP214UG directory)
for creating part-prts AND assembly-prts......(which is surprising for a CATIA user that an assembly can derive for a part ;-))
Replacing the “step214ugnullnx90_mm.prt” model with a Daimler-start-model leads to good conversion-results for the parts-prts BUT to faulty assembly-prts

I would be very grateful for any hint. [banghead]

Thanks for your help.

Currently my workaround is:
(1) do a STEP-Import batch conversion using a Daimler-model-part (substituting "step214ugnullnx90_mm.prt")
(2) do a STEP-Import batch conversion using a Daimler-assembly-part (substituting "step214ugnullnx90_mm.prt")
(3) merging both results, using the resulting model-parts of (1) and using the resulting assembly-parts of (2)

cheers

As you have noticed, NX does not differ on the type of file, "part" , "Assembly", "drawing" , "CAM" etc etc, all use the same file. - The difference is the FEM analysis where NX uses different file name extensions.
An assembly is a file which contains components, if these components are removed it's no longer an assembly , the file itself has nothing to do with this.
Therefore NX only uses one "stepxxxnullxxx.prt . You are, as you have noticed, free to replace this file with a tailored one, such as the Daimler template.

What's the difference between the Daimler part template and the assembly template ?

- You say in your first post that "the result was nonsense" - What was nonsense ?

Regards,
Tomas

Hi Tomas

Part file have features groups and special attribute

download.aspx

Assembly Part have no feature group and another specual attribute

download.aspx

Regards
Didier Psaltopoulos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back