Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX10 next release? When? 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Interesting that you mentioned this as we had this very conversation the other day where those in the room ALL thanked God that we were NEVER tempted to use dates when naming product versions ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Excuse me for a divergence of a sort from the original topic, but my question is closely linked to the history of UG/NX anyway. What was the reason behind the decision to implement unified .PRT file format, as opposed to the traditional division between piece part, assembly and drawing formats? I guess back then there was very few CAD systems around, and you were free to choose the path. Nevertheless, UG went for unified file format, while virtually all others took another direction. I believe that .PRT file format is absolutely the most brilliant decision UG authors ever made.

Industry creates wealth!

It has to do with our life-long (well at least since 1974 when the first Unigraphics system was sold) commitment to always providing an upward path for the data created in older releases being compatible with newer relesaes, and if we had split-up the file format into explicit files types, which if we had, would have been with the release of UG V10.0 in 1993, that would have been very difficult. Besides, like most updates, even though with UG V10.0 we had moved to a scheme where files referenced other files (i.e. 'Assemblies & Components' as well as Master Model support for Drawings, CAM and eventually CAE) we did NOT force our legacy users to adopt this approach even if the data structures was able to support it (we tend to do that, go out of our way to avoid forcing existing users to make radical changes without giving them a few releases to transition).

And to demonstrate what I mean, I just now this instant opened a Part file using the latest development phase of the NEXT version of NX, complete with a 3D wireframe model and fully dimensioned and annotated 'J-Size' Drawing, that was last saved using UG V9.1 some 21+ years ago. All I did to open this file was to go to 'File -> Open' and select the part file and hit OK. A few seconds later the part was open and all I had to do to see the Drawing was to switch to the Drafting module. I'll put that up against anyone else in the industry.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

As long as we don't ever get a version called "NX Monday" [jester]

Greetings,
Frank

2x NX9.0.3.4 Mach Design
on win7 64bit
NX10 Beta Tester
1x Solid Edge ST2

Printscaffold, :
It is such that "the other systems" files actually are different, or is it simply that they have added different "file name extensions" , ".asm", ".drwg" etc to a file where the file format itself is identical but the content is "assembly" , "drawing" etc ?

I guess NX could have taken that path, keeping a single file format but used different extensions to make the navigation for the users simpler and also start the same application as the extension indicated.

Do not get me wrong here, i LOVE the fact that i can run the Modeling and Drafting application on say a CAM partfile, this is wonderful, it's true design freedom.
But it would sometimes help seeing the type of content based on the extension.

Regards,
Tomas

If you understand the workings of file extensions and their relations to executable programs, there is nothing stopping a company from creating their own list of file extensions and using them with NX.

You may have some issues when upgrading, but reassociation of the file extensions would be easy. Teamcenter may be a different story and a lot harder to do this with.

One thing I dislike about diferent file extensions in when a designer creates a .prt, .asm and .drw file with the same 12345687 part number. I have to remind them that a .prt and .drw or .asm and .drw can have the same number, but not all 3. The data manager does not care and will let all 3 be checked-in.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

What I was talking about is not the matter of mere file extensions, but of the software operating mode. In CAD programs I know outside NX, Inventor for example, piece part-level and assembly-level modeling is markedly different from each other, and interpart geometry linking capability is seriously diminished. In NX, assembly hierarchy is completely flat as long as interpart linking is concerned, and modeling at assembly level is virtually the same as on the piece part level. All of this is brought forth by the PRT format, bless it. :)

Industry creates wealth!

@PrintScaffold
I was always searching for some who actually LIKED the way that in NX everything can be anything. Our Users HATE that they always have to switch to drafting etc. In their opinion NX has to know when a drawing is open etc. I think it should be no problem for NX to know when only drafting should be possible etc...
YOu are the very first one I met who LIKED this behaviour... :)

@schellenbergj
Be sure I am not the only one shoe likes this. :) I'd question the way your users were educated, but not the way NX behaves.

Industry creates wealth!

I agree with Printscaffold. I orginally thought .prt file only why? Then I started using NX.

A user can tell if it is an assembly, part and or drawing by the icon in teamcenter integration throuhg NX. If you have teamcenter if you go to file open in NX. The icon appears diffrent next to the dataset if it is a drawing, part and or assembly.

You can still do either. Granted, out-of-the-box the Direct Sketch is given a more prominent role (and that was the same in NX 9.0) but there is no problem in either making the Sketch Task the default or giving them both roles. For example, I've set-up my system so that I have top-level Ribbon icons for both Direct Sketch and the Sketch Task, and as far as editing an existing Sketch, if I'm doing a Edit with Rollback, I opt for the Sketch Task whereas if I do a simple edit, then it opts for the Direst Sketch.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back