Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX11: File -> Save as in an assembly wants to do a save as for every parent file. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isobar

Mechanical
Nov 4, 2013
US
Since upgrading to NX11, when I am in an assembly and do a File-save as on a component part, it makes me go through a prompt to do a save as for every level of the assembly that is above the component I am working on. This didn't use to happen in older versions of NX. I've searched through customer defaults and haven't found any settings that seem like it would fix this. This gets really annoying when you have some pretty deep level assemblies.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know what you had set in previous versions. As Far as I know this has always been the way NX worked.

John Joyce
Manufacturing Engineer
Senior Aerospace CT
NX 10 & 11.0.1 Vericut 8.0.3

If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses

- Henry Ford

I just walked over to another desk where they still have NX9 and Save-as only prompts for the work part. Looked around in his settings and still didn't see any reason for the difference.

This is the normal behavior and has been like that as long as i can remember.
but, you are free to cancel at any stage, you will then see a question similar to "do you like to continue or not"
YES will save the ones you renamed so far, NO will cancel everything.

Note, the dialog and the prompts are as i remember it and not identical.

Regards,
Tomas

Regards
Tomas

I assumed that behavior was only valid when the part names matched the part naming and versioning rules that had been defined.

NX 9.0.3.4
NX 12.0.0.27 (Testing)
Windows 7 (Windows 8.1 Tablet)

I think it has been around for quite some time. NX 8.5 for sure and I think before that. We use different naming conventions depending on the customer, some force a prompt to save up the assembly tree and some do not.

I know using the same assembly, my coworker in NX9.0 when he does a save as, it only asks him to rename the work file, and nothing above it. When I do it on my machine using 11, it brings up the prompt for the 3 assembly parents above it. Driving me nuts I can't find a way to skip this. I've got some files that have 8 or 9 levels deep and it's just annoying having to cancel out of 9 prompts just to do one save as.

Did you read all what i wrote above ?
whilst i cannot explain what might have happened to your colleagues setup, what you are describing is how NX has been working since Unigraphics 10.0.
NX will prompt for the next level assy.

1)make component x the work part
2) Save as
NX will then let you enter a name for the work part,
when that is complete, NX will prompt for a new name of the assembly above. ( it will also prompt for any first level assembly in the session where comp x is a component.)
3) Here you press CANCEL!
4) NX will then respond,
"The following parts have been modified and will not be saved.
d:\dir\dir\assembly_A.prt
Do you want the Save As to continue ?
5) you press YES! ( this is where the non experienced pushes the wrong button.)
6) NX then responds with a note that the first level assemblies where modified and if saved they will reference the newly saved as parts.
d:\dir\dir\assembly_A.prt
Done.

This might be confusing the first time one does this, the tip is to make sure that both the information window AND the NX cueline is visible when performing the save as.
But, it is as it should work.
I just tried this in both NX9.0.3.4 and NX11.0.2.7
They work exactly the same in this.

Regards,
Tomas

Regards
Tomas

That's how I currently have to do it, although I feel like I have to hit no for every level above it, not just hitting it once. It's just annoying to have to go through, and like you said, your first instinct is just to hit no because you only want to save the one file.

Ah!
-you are running NX with Teamcenter.? ( Or maybe an other PLM system ?)
That makes a difference, then there is the option to set the Save as scope to Work part.
Also , the dialog is way smarter in case you would traverse the structure.

Regards,
Tomas

Regards
Tomas

I am generally working in standalone NX, but I do have Teamcenter integration. Not sure what that would change. Though mostly this is only an issue when I am working stand alone, because I don't do studies in TC. When I do a save as, there is no scope option. There's a greyed out options box in the corner, that is it. But I can't select it so no clue what the point of it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back