Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX11 Locked Attrubutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCADPOPro

Aerospace
Aug 15, 2014
US
Hello All, After extensive searches on locked attributes, I still have not seen anything that addresses my issue. Here is what is happening. First let me say, we are using Windchill as a PLM solution and we are using NX8.5 and migrating to NX11 soon. I have a series of formats that read attributes from a master model that are both User Input and read in from Windchill. Everything populates to the drawing just fine and the drawing attributes reference the model attributes by using the DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_ prefix. Now I migrate to NX11 and decide to create new format templates and utilize the Title Block function and Zones. Everything looks great and references the same attributes, but all of the DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_ attributes become locked and will not update to the values in the master model. Is there some setting that automatically locks the DB_DWG_TEMPLATE function when used in the Title Block functions? No here is the strange thing. I used a copy on my NX8.5 Templates in NX 11 and the attributes update as they did before. These templates do not use the Title Block function and are simply created with lines and text. Any insight to what is happening?

Thanks in advance,

Richard Andrew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jerry,

I am highly confident that they are not. It does not explain why they are locked in the template with Title Block function, but not locked in the template that only contains text.

Richard

So now I will add some more here. After doing a little "playing", I have discovered the following. You can reference attributes that are driven by the DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_ prefix in a standard note. NX converts it to something like <WRef1*0@ATTRIBUTE> where the actual attribute reads DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_ATTRIBUTE. NX does not seem to pick up that same attribute in a tabulated note, therefore not in an NX Title Block (which is created from a tabular note). Interestingly enough, NX does pick up regular attributes that actually live inside the drawing template part.

So my new question to all of you NX Geniuses out here, is there a different call other than DB_DWG_TEMPLATE that can be used to reference an attribute value from the master model AND be used in a tabular note??????

Otherwise, I am going to abandon using the Title Block function and only keep the zones and borders. everything else will be lines and text. It is a shame because it really cut down on object count for the formats.

Thanks again,

Richard Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back