Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NX1892 : How to make NX to connect to central Material library 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2020
US
Hi ,

We want to connect the NX to a material library that is stored in Site standard folder. This folder is looked into when NX is launched . is there any Env variable I need to set in env.dat file?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From earlier NX versions, there is a setting in the Customer defaults.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

Hi Ron,

I see we can pull the material database from the site folder . But now, If I want to add a new material to it, When I go to manage material >> create new >> it goes into local copy and not site level. How can I make it go and update at the site level? Only way currently we are doing is editing xml file..

Hi,

I am not quite sure if it is supposed to work like this (That you, as a normal user are allowed to add materials to a Site material list)
In our company there is a special department responsible for the materials used inside the company (as with most other large companies).
They do not have access to NX or it's environment and they always provide the updates or new materials in Document form.
As the main responsible coordinator I am adding everything to the XML File directly.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

Hi Ron,

Yes. I agree that normal user should be able to edit the material database. But I thought Siemens could have given us a more friendly UI to edit the database without having to learn how to edit a xml file..

Hi,

Here is the process with simple screenshots in NX1926, but it's the same in previous !NX version

1°) I Assume that you succeed to set your xml fil at the group level

MAterials_1_pxfvvy.jpg

2°) Then you know how to create a new material

MAterials_2_jsje7f.jpg

3°) the result is in local materials by default

MAterials_3_d8iocl.jpg

4°) Now you can export the material to the library

MAterials_4_eqiqbt.jpg

5°) And the result is in the library materials [dazed]

MAterials_5_jvqtdy.jpg

I hope it's clear and this help

Regards