Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX3 pre-selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryno23

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2008
US
Hey guys, hopefully this is an easy one. I just switched to NX5. When i was in NX3, I turned off pre-select. I was able to click thru things until I found my selection. Is that still possible in NX5. I really hate Pre-select/highlight on roll-over. I want to be able to click thru faces and bodies without having to turn things on and off, or rollthings over, just to pick it. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not to sure what you’re asking for but I hope this helps:
If say you have multiple faces, bodies, ect. put mouse over object until the 3 dots appear next to the selection cross, click and a Quick pick dialog should open with the selectable items in a list

Do you have your" highlight selection on rollover" toggleded on? I don't like all the items on my screen to light up as i go over them. I still want the quick pick menu to come up,,,just not everything to be highlighted as i scroll across the screen

ryno,

So you want Rollover highlighting OFF so it doesn't highlight when you move your mouse over an object? Just click it off under Preferences -> Selection.

Now, nothing will highlight UNTIL you make a mouse click on an object and Quick Pick will still appear and highlight as you move up and down the list if you waited for the 3 dots to appear.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Tim, I have it turned off right now,,,which is what i prefer, and i get no quick pick menu to come up,,ever. I thought i was just missing something.

Here's the Selection Preferences that I've used for some time:

'Highlight Selection On Rollover' toggled ON

'Rollover Delay' set to 3

'QuickPick on Delay' toggled OFF

This way I only get pre-selection highlighting when I stop moving the cursor and wait a slight delay. I also never get the 3 dots for the QuickPick until I hold down MB1 for about a half second, this way I have direct control over WHEN QuickPick is triggered.

As for WHAT gets preselected, in NX 3 you had 3 selection MODES: Object, Feature and Component. In NX 5 you get 5 selection PRIORITIES: Feature, Face, Body, Edge/Curve and
Component. The old 'Modes' were filters where you could ONLY select the items as defined by the 'Mode'. With selection 'Priorities' everything is selectable ALL of the time, just that the items that get the top priority (highlighted first and appearing at the top of the QuickPick list) are the ones the priority is named for. This way you can always select what you wish, either directly with the cursor depending on the 'Priority' set or by QuickPick where all items are available, and within QuickPick we've added mini-filters to shorten the list of objects if it gets unmanageable.

After using NX 5 for a while, if you ever have to go back to the old 'Mode' scheme, you'll rip your hair out, at least that's my humble opinion ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back