Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX5 64-bit No Numerical Keypad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GladwinJay

Industrial
Jun 29, 2004
US
Just wondering if anyone has found a fix to the non-working numerical keypad issue I am having. It seems to only happen in drafting while adding notes and editing title blocks but the numerical keypad will not put numbers into notes. And yes the Num lock is on....thanks!

Thanks
J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The problem is so random, that I haven't even been able to recreate a scenario that causes it.

That said...no, I don't have a solution, but I do feel your pain.

-Dave
Everything should be designed as simple as possible, but not simpler.

hi ppl

I have the same problem on 2 machine running nx5 last mp´s.
Could it be due to the font we use?
I don´t believe it as anything to do with it but it allready append to me that wrinting in different font matter like when writing "<" simbol.

Just saying...

bye

J

This is an interesting one.
I'd like to know a couple of things about the symptoms. I don't have my NX-5 work installation in front of me until after the holiday season ends, so assuming your original problems are only with NX-5 you may want to try a couple of experiments. Based on the earlier versions and from memory notes can be added and edited in a few separate dialogs. When you add a note there is an initial smaller text window into which you may type, and then theres the full text editor that you get when you click on the "A" with a pencil icon in the top left corner. You get another version of the full text editor when you add or edit appended text. So does the numeric keypad work in some but not others. If so then you may have your work around solution.

If you are using an earlier version of NX please let us know. None of these problems have been evident so far that I've heard using a fairly wide range of hardware under windows with NX-3 or 4.

Do other users or other machines at your site have different results. I bet that other users reading this may be able to report that their hardware works okay. You may want to try changing your keyboard especially if it is a fancy out of the ordinary model. I think I heard/read somewhere that Logitech wireless models may be causing hassles for some NX-5 users. It may just solve your problem.

Last but not least lodge a PR with PLMS and let us know what happens. After a bit more testing you ought to be able to tell them and hopefully us more precisely what causes this problem.

Vested interest FYI, I have a wireless mouse/keyboard combo I'd rather not have to replace.

Best Regards

Hudson

I can tell you this much, we've had the issue since NX 5.0, and it continues thru 5.0.2mp2.

Keyboards are the basic Dell, wired.

3 of 3 workstations, and users have the issue.

The problem can occur when creating, or when editing a note. It may happen one time, and not the next, on the same annotation. Only the numbers on the keypad quit working, the /*-+. continue to function.

I'll do some more experimenting.

-Dave

-Dave
Everything should be designed as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Sorry for the delayed response...

Gunman summed up my situation quite well. I have tired the same alternative with similar hardware, same results.

Also only two out of the 3 workdstations we have are 64-bit. The other station is 32 and does not have the issue.

We have had correspondance with GTAC on this topic as well.

Hi All,

I posted on the numerical keypad problem back in October and unfortunately do not have any answers to the problem. I did note at the time that the number pad worked in limited instances. See below.

"The other thing we have noticed is that the keyboard number pad doesn't work in most dialog windows. The only time it seems to work is when using the fraction/two lines of text (say for +/- tolerances) in the text editor."

We have three Dell Precision 490's with this problem.
Win XP 64
NX5.0.2.mp2

BSilk
Senior Designer

I had the same problem and then I did a little reserch and discovered something that has worked for me so far,
In the "ugii_env.dat" file there is a setting for the keyboard where you can specify what keyboard you are using.
To find where it is located it is best to do a find and type in "keyboard".
I hope this helps

I have since last posting picked up a laptop which some genius at Dell decided to install with a 64Bit version of XP (they call it a Vista downgrade, but others have already judged in which direction the downgrade lies), anyway I eventually decided to manually rebuild the box to XP 32bit out of pure frustration with the lack of 64 Bit drivers and other software that actually works!

There seems to be unusually scant support for 64bit Windows O/S when it comes to a range of software and drivers by comparion with any of the 32bit versions where anything you could or would want is regularly easy to find.

Perplexed

Hudson

What setting do you need to use and how should it be entered? I tried to change the keyboard settings and it did not help. I am on a 64bit system using 5.0.4.1. Do they plan on correcting this anytime soon in version 5. My company changes revs when GM does. SO it may be a while before we see 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back