Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX5 and Macintosh 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WJakub

Industrial
Dec 30, 2005
US
I'm wondering should I decide to purchase a new MacPro desktop system which graphics card Apple offers that would be suitable for running NX? I'm modeling for Industrial Designers so graphic performance is important in dynamically
moving the model in Fine or XtraFine faceting mode as well as face reflection analysis.

Also since NX currently will not run in Mac OS, for best performance overall would "Windows" OS or Linux OS be best?

thanks!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-
Arthur C. Clarke

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NX5 will run on Mac OS-X.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

Yes I know but the "Intel" Macs can run "Windows" and Linux operating systems. I believe Apple Computer is running NX under Linux on their "Mac" computers.

Arthur C. Clarke

Yes, but until NX 5 there was no 'official' MAC OS version of NX available, but there have been versions of NX available on Linux. While I can't speak for Apple, it's quite possible that they may move back to the MAC OS versions of NX once they are readily available.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

John,
Thanks for responding. Do you mean to say that eventually
NX might run under the Mac OS? Also referring to my original post do you have any input on which
graphics card offered with the "Intel" Macs would be recommended?

Thanks again,
Walter

Arthur C. Clarke

Well, 'unofficially' I've been running NX 4 on my G4 iBook, under the Mac OS, for about 9 months now (but you never heard that from me ;-) )

'Officially' we will be announcing support of NX 5 on intel-based Mac's under the Mac OS. As for the graphics card, I suspect that since we go through the Mac OS for that support, it will be whatever they support.

As for the 'unofficial' NX 4 version ported to the G4/G5 chip-set, that was only done as a sort of 'proof-of-concept' and was never intended to be released to anyone other than our people, and some people at Apple of course, for testing.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back