Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX6 assembly constraints

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwingfan01

Automotive
Jan 6, 2009
US
so we used to have a mating condition in previous versions called 'tangent' which would allow me to mate a cylinder tangent to two planer surfaces.

How do I do that with assembly constraints? I am totally not seeing it and 'touch' is only letting me constrain to one of the surfaces in my vee block.

Thanks you

SV

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you insert your part, using the by constraints option, you select your circular part with the touch/align constrain and then select one side of the V shape. Just click apply, select the circular part again and now select the other side of the V shape, apply again. You should now have two tangent constraints between the two parts.

Best regards,

Michaël.

NX4+TC9 / NX6+TC8Unified / NX7.5 native

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=05cd5891-ec6b-4fc8-9e69-2ad61f564251&file=touch_align.jpg
Yeah that's what I thought but for some reason it isn't working. I'm actually trying to do it the other way by constraining the vee to the customer data. I though at first that the customer data just wasn't a true cylinder so I made a cylinder and it still isn't working. Oddly when I put the second constraint on they both change to conflicting and nothing happens.

Ok try the following, first import V part, and place it absolute (just for testing). Then import the cylinder, by contrains option. You get the preview window, click on cylinder then one side of the block, click cylinder again and then on the other side of the V block. Hit OK. Should be ok now?

Best regards,

Michaël.

NX4+TC9 / NX6+TC8Unified / NX7.5 native

ok figured it out but it doesn't make sense.... if I remove the fixed constraint from the customer data the customer data will then move to the vee block which isn't the result I want, because the customer data has to stay in body position. It does this even though the vee block is added after the customer data is in my assembly file. My solution was to then constrain the customer data back to another copy of the customer data. It just does not want me to move the vee to the cylinder no matter what I select first. oh well maybe it is just this file and since it doesn't happen very often that I need to do this I'll not let it bother me until the next time.

Thanks for your help

i removed the constraints in that file, slid the v-block to some random spot and applied the constraints and it worked fine so it must have just been something with this file. thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back