Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX6 assy constraints

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckrow

Mechanical
Jun 22, 2010
US
How many users..(ive been one since v15) are having troubles with the new constraint system..I for one think there may be some bugs..my company was sold on taking asm constraints over the tried and true mate/repo version..We are having trouble with the constraints being maintained. One day the files open fine the next..all the constraints are blown out..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have had similar problems. Some of our issues include: constraints blowing up from day to day, contraints disappering, unhelpful constriant errors, etc. We're very hesitant about making the switch at this point. We've been reporting these problems to GTAC and are recieving some encouraging feedback that these issues are being resolved in future updates (whatever that means). It's good to know it's not just us.

We are using NX 6 and were told when we took it on that this "assy restraints" was the next thing coming..so we took the bait and I hate to say it but i think were guinea pigs..i think that as usual there are bugs ..and we have em. For example we have some files that we can use the expanded constraints, ie. point to point , dynamic, etc..other files when saved as new or just for no reason only allow a certain few assy restraints such as concentric, distance , etc.

One issue might be that you're mixing lightweight and exact Reference Sets. It will not be until NX 7.5 before you will be able to Constrain 'lightweight' Components. Prior to then, you will need to use the 'Model' Reference Set (or any which contains actual geometry) in order to assign constraints. After the constraints are assigned, you can go back to 'lightweight' components, but not before then.

However, I have to ask, why are you mentioning 'Point-to-Point' and 'Dynamic'? These are NOT assembly constraints, but rather 'Motion' types used to 'move' a Component. These options are ONLY found on the 'Move Component' dialog, which does NOT create any 'permanent' constraints in your Assembly, even if you use one of the Transform 'Motion' types 'By Constraints'. You can ONLY constrain a Component by using the the 'Assemblies Constraints' dialog and the constraint 'Types' found there.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back