Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX6: How to Replace Reference Set? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gruenhir

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2019
US
Hello again... as with my last question, this seems like a silly question with a simple answer, but we do not have any folks who know how to do detailed stuff in NX6 and I couldn't find any support/training literature online.

In Solidworks, what I am attempting to do is just 'Replace Model' in an assembly... you select the model you want to swap to from a list, or you browse for it. Super easy!

In NX6, my best guess is that I need to use 'Replace Reference Set' and select MODEL. However, nothing sensible seems to happen afterward. No helpful list of models to choose from, or browse window. In fact, all that happened when I clicked MODEL was that a DIFFERENT part in the assembly visually duplicated itself! Input/guidance on how to replace a model within an assembly would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NX6 was a long time ago...

I think it's the same as it is today.
Open Assembly Navigator Right click on a component you want to replace, Select Replace Component. pick from the list of loaded parts or browse unloaded parts. Same as you describe in Solidworks.
Reposition as needed.

Rob, thanks for the reply! However I think I am still missing something. I'm sharing a screenshot in case it helps (unfortunately due to company policy I can't share what's in the viewport). How do I get a list of parts to choose from to show up in the first place? As you can see in my screenshot, I RCed on a part and am about to choose something under Replace Reference Set. However when I select MODEL, nothing happens (except what I described in my original post). Would you mind giving a little more detail, or possibly sharing a screenshot of what you get on your end?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ffb2e1ba-5572-4268-8df4-634bbc4e973e&file=NX6_Replace_Model.PNG
It's not a Reference Set - those are used for filtering the visibility of components, etc. in uplevel asm's. You want component related commands. NX6 is about 10 years ago so not many people are still using it today. You want something like already suggested. If Replace Component isn't around, you will have to just delete the component and add a new one (and reposition as needed).

If you have the NX Help Docs, install them and use them - they WILL help if you take the time to read them.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM GPDL 11-A.3.5
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

Tim -- funny you should say that because I *just* went through and looked at the Training docs under Help in our NX software. It had directions to Replace Component, but our software doesn't seem to match up! (See screenshot) ... 'Open Components' didn't do anything. They had 3 ways of getting to 'Replace Components', but none of them matched options in the program. Talk about frustrating! I'm doubtful that if I reach out to them directly, I'll get any help.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e8338e54-5ee3-4385-904c-52afae7effba&file=NX6_Replace_Component_wStumped.PNG
Do you know what the Assembly Navigator is? If so, go over to it and MB3 on the component you wish to replace and see if Replace Component doesn't show up.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM GPDL 11-A.3.5
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

Tim -- I believe I do? Please see the screenshot I attached to my 2nd post. It shows the options when I RMB on a component under Assembly Navigator -- Replace Component wasn't an option. Unless I'm REALLY missing something and the thing that says 'Assembly Navigator' at the top isn't really the Assembly Navigator!

Hi,

Is the Assembly module active?

slask123_pba6f5.png

NX5 -> NX12
I-deas 12, NX I-deas6.6
Solid Works 2017

Sorry - I assumed you knew that you had to be in the Assembly module to activate the Assembly commands. In newer versions of NX that setting can be turned on permanently so that you're always in the Assembly module. Older versions like NX6 don't have that option.

Don't take this wrong, but you really need to be reading up on some of the basics in the Help Docs. If you're not going to go to training, that's about your only reliable recourse that's free.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM GPDL 11-A.3.5
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back