Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX6 updates to thread561-195620

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLineDesign

Bioengineer
Aug 9, 2007
US
Does NX6 have any updates to thread561-195620? I still do not (and probably never will) have the Studio License, so is there any other ways to bring in images to sketch over?

Regards,

KLINE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would probably be an absolute pain to attempt to do so but I expect that if you added an image to a drawing then sketched with curves over the top of it then you may be able to copy and paste those curves into modelling.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

This works ok, (using basic curves, view dependent edit-> transfer or cut-paste, and then add existing objects in sketcher) but the obvious enhancement of being able to do this on the modeling side within sketcher would really be ideal. Next time it will be there!...maybe

Thanks,

KLINE

The enhancement I want would be NX supporting the capability on a cheaper level. Sorry to insinuate that the capability wasn't there...

KLINE

Then what's stopping you from asking that ANY functionality which is currently available, but only in an add-on module, be moved to the base module of NX simply so that you could avoid having to pay the extra cost?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I guess it is interesting to discover that people work in different ways to go about the same task. Personally I would never sketch over any image always preferring to use curve creation for that task because I'm working by eye over an image. It gives me that extra subtle ability to capture the errors of scale without being forced to interpret the data dimensionally until after I have traced it. It is only after doing so that I check the scale and start to make adjustments.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

John, what is stopping me from asking about the rest is that Sketching over an image in Sketcher is number 1, on my list of 1, for things that are available in other Licenses that I do not have. Plus, when it was presented to me by Siemens I asked if it would be available in the base package, and I was told that in the future it may be, so I have been looking and waiting to see if it does get added (not unlike materials, and true shading; I believe...). I don’t think it is outlandish for a customer to try to inquire about future updates, especially when led on, and this forum is the best place I found to do such. Answer aside, I think sketching over an image is an excellent start in doing a synchronous technology flavored presentation here in-house, and I was hoping to have the capability for a more seamless presentation so that when asked (it’s inevitable) to show the benefits of our Legacy CAD System (NX) vs. it’s challenger (by mergers acquisitions etc.) I’d have one more trick to sell the cost.

Sorry if you viewed my posts as complaints. Sorry that the phrase 'obvious enhancement' was taken the wrong way...I should have omitted that portion, to again just leave it as a hope and want.

Hudson, I agree, it is very interesting to see the different methods, and this coincides with my favorite attribute of NX when compared to other systems: There are so many more ways one can accomplish something in NX.

Thanks again to all that replied, and I apologize for dragging this post out (again). It probably could've stopped at No.

KLINE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back