Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX7.5 random unknown expressions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkward

Automotive
Feb 7, 2013
US
The parts I work on create hundreds of expressions on their own as seen in the attached image.
I'm curious if anyone knows why or how this happens and if there is a way to prevent this from happening?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you do a Copy and Paste, or Import an part, expressions like this occur.
Expressions not used can be deleted, but renaming these not have have the ' is not recomend.
I believe there are even some threads on this item to be found here on this forum.

Kind regards

Ok, so if the imported data is no longer used. I can delete the expressions?
The part I snipped those from has zero imported data. it's only a sketch, a tube, another sketch and a revolve.

Does this also occur with assemblies when a part file is added to the assembly?

NO, this only happens when part files with expressions are copied into another part file. The expressions are 'hashed' to assure that there will be no conflicting expression names. This does NOT happen when parts are added to an Assembly since that aort of data, the expressions in this case, are not being added to the Assembly file, only the Component object is being created.

BTW, in the link provided by PascalDW, there is mentioned a GRIP program which will remove the 'hash' marks if there truly are no duplicate expression names. If you wish, I can post a copy of the program for your use or you could go the aforementioned link as there are a couple of alternative suggestions made there.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back