Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX8 Recommended system requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyH77

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2012
EU
Hello all,

My first post here. I'm new to NX coming from an Autodesk background. I'm trying to find the recommended system specs to run NX and it's proving impossible to get something accurate. Can anybody help please?

Minimum spec is not what I require.

Thanks,
Guy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For a given budget, you're better off with a processor with 2-4 faster cores than lots of slower ones, as NX doesn't multi-thread many of its processes.

6GB RAM and a 1GB graphics card are recommended (the ATI V5800 and V7800 are good value, imho). These numbers would vary up or down depending on the complexity of the models and assemblies you're handling, but it's a decent baseline to work from.

If you're buying from a reseller, they can probably suggest a sensible spec. but we use Dell T3500 and T5500 as a base.

HTH,

Jon

JHTH
NX 7.5.5 + TC 8.3.2.2

Thanks Jon,

That's good information. Is there any sort of white paper available on this subject do you know? I have to provide a spec to our IT manager and I'm looking for some offical line to use if it exists.

Cheers,
Guy

I have found over the years that vendor hardware specs tend to be minimum values. Dealing with CAD, I have had better luck with Nvidia cards than ATI.

NX only multithreads certain areas of the code. Multi-core CPUs do have an advantage in that they take the load from your other apps that everyone always has open. There is also some chip overhead for multi-cores.

My specs would be:
WIN 7-64 OS
2 dual-core Xeon CPUs, fastest clock rate you can justify
8-12 GBs memory - load depends on motherboard channels
300GB system disk (load OS and other company SW here)
500GB application disk (load NX and use it for files, unless you have network disk storage)
Nvidia FX-3800 or better card
Space Mouse/Navigator
2 22-24" widescreen monitors

Use the NX certified webpages to get actual machine specs and compare them to the vendor specs. Changing CPU speed, memory and disks won't change the machine certification. Changing graphics card will.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back