Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX9 - How do you make hole depth callouts associative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randy64

Aerospace
Jul 31, 2003
US
Right now I create a dimension of the hole depth (usually from a view where the hole is shown as hidden), remove the extension and arrow lines, then place the dimension (with needed appended text) in the callout under the hole size.

This process, while tedious, worked fine in NX7.5, but I'm running into problems in NX9. After creating the depth dimension and placing it, I would turn off the hidden lines in the view where the dimension originated. Now, in NX9 when I do that, the dimension becomes unassociative.

Is this a change in NX9, or am I missing a setting or something that I had toggled in NX7.5, and must now do in NX9?

Someone suggested that I create a section view through the hole, create the dimension, and then redo the boundaries of that section view so that it does not show up on the print. I've done this type of thing in the past, but I don't think it is good practice to have a bunch of "invisible" views floating around the drawing.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't know about NX9, but here's how in NX6 (and for quite awhile before). If not using Master Model, you can skip the Link to Part step.
Edit Appended text -> Relationships -> Expression -> Link to Part -> choose appropriate feature expression which reflects the dimension you need.

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

Instead of "Expression" you can also use "Object Attribute" or "Part Attribute"

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

Thanks, ewh.

When I go to Edit Appended Text, I'm not seeing Relationships as an option. Maybe it's not there in NX9.

BUT, this is the kind of solution I'm looking for. If anyone knows how to accomplish this in NX9, please enlighten me.

Could try Insert -> Dimension -> Feature Parameters and see if that gets what you need. It has a specific format that is uses though so it may not match your standards. (I'm not on NX 9 so I'm not sure if the command works the same)

Daniel Sikes
Design Engineer
Young Touchstone
NX 8.0.3.4

If you're running NX 9.0, are you using the new 'Hole Callout' function? If so, are you aware that you can include the hole depth as part of the callout annotation, as shonw below?

HoleCalloutwithdepth_zpsbc751529.png

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John, I don't see a picture in your post.

Also, when I try to use Hole Callout, I get a warning about making sure the feature data being fully loaded. How do I do that?

Thanks

Okay, was able to get part fully loaded, but now when I go to Hole Callout, but I can't grab the hole in my view.

FYI, this is a part being detailed that is part of an assembly. In other words, the part I'm detailing is 2 levels down in the assembly navigator. Would this make a difference on the ability to use the Hole Callout function?

The assembly level at which the hole is found should not make any difference. However, make sure your Drawing views are 'Exact' and not 'Lightweight'.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

John, I appreciate your help, and I apologize for my ignorance, but where would I check/change the drawing views for 'Exact' and 'Lightweight'?

Okay, found it. They are set to Exact. Still no luck being able to grab the hole.

Yes, hole was created using Hole Function.

You are using the NEW 'Hole Callout' function, found as an option on the 'Radial' dimension dialog, correct?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

With NX9, if you're using "Exact" views, hiding the geometry the dimension is attached to will cause the dimension to become retained.

You may be better using "Exact (Pre-NX8.5)" views to minimise the problem.

NX 9.0.3.4
NX 10 (Testing)
Windows 7 64 (Windows 8.1 Tablet)

I am using Exact views.

I am working in NX9. Not sure how stuff that works in NX8.5 will help me.

Still happening. Turn on hidden lines, create dimension, turn off hidden lines - dimension becomes unassociated.

Okay, I found this video:
It shows exactly what I want to do, except when they click on the wrench, then the Settings "A", they get an option in the Settings box of "Hole Callout" where they proceed to fix things up the way they want them.

There is no "Hole Callout" in my settings box. Instead there is "Reference." Funny thing is, they are doing all of this under Inferred, not Hole Callout.

Help! Please!

I'm also working with NX9, but "Exact" doesn't work for us, we've had to switch our Customer Defaults and Templates to make use of "Exact (Pre-NX8.5)"

NX 9.0.3.4
NX 10 (Testing)
Windows 7 64 (Windows 8.1 Tablet)

Using NX 9.0.3.4 I have NO problems whatsoever creating the new Hole Callouts with 'Exact' (not pre-NX 8.5 exact but the NEW 'Exact' view style) Drawing views.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back