Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX9 - How do you make hole depth callouts associative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randy64

Aerospace
Jul 31, 2003
US
Right now I create a dimension of the hole depth (usually from a view where the hole is shown as hidden), remove the extension and arrow lines, then place the dimension (with needed appended text) in the callout under the hole size.

This process, while tedious, worked fine in NX7.5, but I'm running into problems in NX9. After creating the depth dimension and placing it, I would turn off the hidden lines in the view where the dimension originated. Now, in NX9 when I do that, the dimension becomes unassociative.

Is this a change in NX9, or am I missing a setting or something that I had toggled in NX7.5, and must now do in NX9?

Someone suggested that I create a section view through the hole, create the dimension, and then redo the boundaries of that section view so that it does not show up on the print. I've done this type of thing in the past, but I don't think it is good practice to have a bunch of "invisible" views floating around the drawing.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To get the Hole Callout 'Settings' you had to have actually selected a Hole Callout to edit. If you go to Drawing Preferences then you can preset the Hole Callout options.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John, in the video I posted, they use Inferred to create the callout, then are able to go to Hole Callout in the Settings. Is this because Hole Callout is one of the Inferred options, and NX senses that it is a hole and infers that?

Regardless, Hole Callout is not working for me, via Hole Callout or Inferred.

I've never even tried using the 'Inferred' Method when creating a Hole Callout. The only workflow I use is to explicitly set the 'Radial' dimension Method option to 'Hole Callout' before I select the hole(s) of interest. I was not aware that we even tried to sort out holes from circles when creating an 'Inferred' dimension, primarily because I've always assumed that it would be too ambiguous to work in a reliable and consistent manner.

That being said, I just tested this using NX 9.0.3.4 and for the 'Rapid' dimension there is NO way that the 'Inferred' method would ever find the 'hole' feature. Now in the case of using the 'Inferred' method with the 'Radial' dimension, that does actually work, but ONLY if you use QuickPick to make sure that you're actually selecting the 'Hole' and not the arc which represents the edge of the hole, or you set the Selection Filter to 'Feature' first before trying to pick the 'Hole'. With that in mind, I've think it's easier to just change the 'Radial' Method to 'Hole Callout' and go from there. Besides, it's likely that at that stage of my process I may be dimensioning several holes so this would be the most efficient approach to take, at least in my humble opinion ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Thanks for the info, John - but I'm still no closer to being able to use Hole Callout. It simply isn't working. I set Radial to Hole Callout, then attempt to click on the hole, nothing happens. The hole does not highlight, there is no recognition that there is something there I'm trying to grab onto.

For now, I have figured out how to use expressions using Relationships in Appended Text. I'm sure that using the Hole Callout function would be quicker and easier, but I can't get it to work. I'm sure it's something I'm doing/not doing/don't have set right, but I've tried all of the things suggested in this thread, including Exact(pre-NX8.5) (which was the default setting anyway).

Very frustrating!

Grrr!!

Can you at least provide an image of what the Drawing view looks like and indicate which hole(s) it is that you're attempting to select?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The CGM file shows the curve to be an arc so it should be selectable as such. The hole was created as a Hole Feature, correct? I mean it was not an arc extruded and subtracted. Try this, go into Information -> Object... and select the arc to make sure it's actually an arc in your drawing view.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Then without that actual part file and Drawing, there is nothing else that I can suggest. If you can't post that data here, then please contact GTAC and have them look at this.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

randy64 {16 Jan 15 19:12} said:
Okay, was able to get part fully loaded, but now when I go to Hole Callout, but I can't grab the hole in my view.

When you created the hole feature, what type did you pick (general, drill size, hole series, etc)?

Callouts don't seem to work so well with "hole series" type holes...

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back