Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NX9 - Open Dialog Box Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenja824

Automotive
Nov 5, 2014
US
When you click on "Open" in NX, on the left side, there are 5 options. RECENT PLACES, DESKTOP, LIBRARIES, COMPUTER, & NETWORK.

When you open a Windows folder, there are a similar set of options on the left side, but you have the option to right click and add places to your favorites.

Is it possible to add locations to the left options in OPEN for NX9? If there is a way to add a few favorite locations, it would really save a lot of hassle of having to navigate through ten folders to get to the file you need to open. I try to use Recent Places when I can, but often the location I want to go is not available in there anymore.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not that I'm aware of.

That being said, there is something that you can do using the Resource Bar which is similar to having a favorite folders in an explorer window. Just go to...

Preferences -> Palettes...

...and the third icon at the top of the dialog, labeled 'Open Directory as Palette' will allow you to define a new Resource Bar tab from a folder. When you select that icon it will allow you to browse to the desired folder and when you hit OK a tab will be added to the Resource Bar which when you select it, it will show you all the Part files in that folder. And if you double click one of those Part files it will open it in NX. And if you were to 'drag' one of those Part files from that tab, it would be ADDED to the current Work part as a Component.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Kenja824,

In addition to Cowski's suggestion for the newer Libraries approach, another older approach is the "PlacesBar".

A Google search of the controlling windows registry key "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\placesbar" will yield several good examples.

HTH,
Joe

Like this?
open_gdo4ag.jpg

here is how

Regards
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back