Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NYC Parking Garage Collapse 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup designed a bunch of them... in addition to the loading (full, empty, or whatever) and gear pattern, repetition and channeling for fatigue are critical.

Almost sounds like the apartment building in Florida...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

No record of City inspections since 2009? And no indication that any of those violations were acted on? I wonder what an "Aggregated Level" means.

As someone who has done a lot of work in NYC, lack of maintenance leading to failure is my first thought and not surprising even a little bit. So much of NYC's infrastructure was built in the early 1900s and you could probably throw a dart on a map and that building would have similar violations. Next time you're in NYC don't stand still too long at one spot on the sidewalk because those vaults are in terrible condition. Half of them extend under the roads as well and are beyond repair.

Parking garages anywhere in the northeast are typically in pretty rough condition. In NYC it's the same case, except they've been in rough condition for 75+ years.

I'm pretty sure "aggravated level" has to do with the severity of the violation and if there are any injuries related to it.

debodine said:
Since it is in New York City, then it follows that the structure was originally built with organized crime approval (the mob)

I know you’re joking but I work in a lot of old NYC buildings and in my experience construction quality was much higher until the 1940s-1950s, where things start to go downhill. Make of that what you will.

Some of you may find the 1938 NYC Building Code of interest. Many of the building laws relating to loads, material strength, etc. that make up the 1938 code were in force in the 1920s when this parking garage was built. The loads section specifies a 175 psf live load for garage floor design, 120 psf for beams and girders, and a 6000 lb concentrated load.

Design floor loads in the early 1900s in NYC were generally very high and I, too, am of the opinion this was more likely a maintenance issue than overloading or a design error.

I love reading the old NYC codes. So simple and feels like you're reading a story about old-timey USA.

I agree with mb3928, live loads back then in NYC are usually higher than what we specify and design for today. Almost every little dinky building was designed for 100 psf LL.

Don't have NYT, but I'm assuming that article just repeats what most of us are saying, that majority of those NYC parking garage structures are a disaster waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back