Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

O-Ring Configurations & BOM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsasdad

Mechanical
Oct 31, 2001
US
I am using the same o-ring twice in an assembly. The problem is that I use two different installed congiurations. The gland designs are different and therefore the installed shape is different. I specify that each configuration use the document name for the BOM. When I place a BOM on the drawing it shows each configuration as a seperate item. Items 2 & 3 are the same part number yet seperate items. Can SolidWorks automatically combine these? I thought it would since I told it to use the document name.

Thanks,

Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Using the SW(2004) type BOM you can make a Group of the configurations and have the BOM show them as the same Item Number.
See bill of materials, configurations in the Help files.

[cheers]
Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies faq731-376
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

Thanks for the quick response. I did try this and though they report as the same item number they were still two seperate rows in the table. I want them to combine and be added together in the qty. column and represented by a single row.

Mike

I'm using 2005, and I may be doing things wrong, but to get this to work I have had to do the following.

At the configuration, I had to change the BOM option from "Document Name" to "User Specified Name" and then type in the part number. I don't unerstand why document name didn't work, but it didn't. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, if I am let me know.

Chris

Chris - you are not doing anything wrong, I've been told that this is "Designed behaviour" in Solidworks, to change it requries an enhancement request (which I've sent in a bunch of times).

In my mind it makes no sense to have the same item listed twice in a BOM, regardless of the configs that are used behind the scenes. The "user-specified" name fix isn't exactly practical either...

engAlright,

Yes, I beleive it was you who pointed me in the direction of this method. I agree with you, this behaviour does not make sense. If anything it should be the opposite, and assume they're like parts, unless "User Specified" otherwise.

A quick fix (if you can) ... use the Excel based BOM ... it does what you are wanting.

[cheers]
Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies faq731-376
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

In SW2004 SP4.1 if you set the configuration properties to Use Specified Name, set each configuration to the same name and check Display as one item configurations with same name in Table properties, it will do what you want. In SP 5.0 I heard there is a third option but I do not know what it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back