Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

object appearence 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbaird

Electrical
Mar 31, 2000
In AutoCad14 how can I make objects appear invisible in the background while other information I want to emphasize appear bold?

David Baird
dbaird@gemcity.com

Sr Controls Engineer

EET degree.

Journeyman Electrician.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I hope I'm not being overly simplistic...but I'm going to assume you just want to freeze a layer (invisible) and as for the bold appearance you can change the lines to poly lines and assign a width to them. To do this type PEDIT in the command line and select a line. If that line is not a poly line you will have to make it one...just follow the directions. Then choose that line again and the Join command from the PEDIT command line to join all line segments. Following that step choose width and then a scale factor you think is appropriate.

To freeze certain information, choose change attributes and modify the layer of the lines you want to be invisible. Just put them on another layer. Then freeze that layer.

No....sorry I wasn't too specific but I don't want to hide the objects....just when they plot out I want them to be dimly visible in the background while the important information appears normally and/or bold polyline. I have seen this on drawing plots but don't know how it is accomplished.

David Baird
dbaird@gemcity.com

Sr Controls Engineer

EET degree.

Journeyman Electrician.

In our industry (structural/consulting) we tend to use a phantom line type for existing work which should be very light while the new work is heavy, particularly concrete line weight. The way we modify these settings is in the PCP file.

I hope this helps!

I knew something was amiss, that question was too easy!

The simplest method to accomplish this is by color/pen relationship. Take the colors that represent the items to be 'ghosted' and in you pen settings, assign them a grayscale - say 50%. The other items will plot with their full 100% density and will appear bolder. If you wish, you can also assign different(heavier) plot weights for the items that you want to accentuate.

Using this scenario will require that you use discrete colors for each set of data - ghosted and bold (normal). The easiest way to do this is to assign the 50% grayscale to a range of numbers that you seldom use - say 240-255. Then assign the appropriate colors to the layers containing the entities. If you use Layer Manager to save the original settings, and the new settings, you can switch back and forth by restoring layer states.

You can also accomplish this by using two sets of pen assignments and leave the layer colors alone. I would save both to separate pc2 files so you can plot normally and accentuated simply by using different pen assignments. For this to work consistently, it is important that you are consistent is layer color assignment across all drawings.

Thanks!!.....I'll go to work on it!!

David Baird
dbaird@gemcity.com

Sr Controls Engineer

EET degree.

Journeyman Electrician.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back