Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Obsolete proprietary control system options

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawelk

Industrial
Apr 11, 2002
US
We have a material loading and blending control system built using proprietary digital and analog I/O boards, 16 position keypad interfaces, and CPU control board manufactured by "Advanced Controls and Measurements, Inc.".

We're in the process of replacing the control systems with ones built around standard A-B CompactLogix PLC hardware.

However, in the mean time I've been asked for options to keep this existing gear in operating condition. I'm not certain of all of the details, but it appears the equipment OEM doesn't have circuit board level drawings or BOMs, but did learn the code running in it was written using the Franklin C compiler.

Several of the PCBs (digital I/O) are fairly straightforward, use parts that are still available, and, except perhaps for the communication interface, look easy enough to repair in-house. The analog input and CPU PCBs are another matter, and it is unclear whether I can get the C programs running in them.

A three part question ...

1). Does the name "Advanced Controls and Measurements" from the Pennsylvania, USA area ring any bells? I can't find anything remotely relevant doing Google searches.

2). Is Franklin still a viable business? I looked at their website, and noticed their latest C compiler runs under Windows 95, 98, and NT, also read a cautionary message about email responses being slow due to excessive spam (from June 2005), and their latest price list is dated 2001.

3). Does anyone know of circuit board repair companies or similar organizations that specialize is the decidedly unpleasant task of reverse-engineering abandoned systems enough to be able repair and test them?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks, bklauba,

Don't believe they are the same company. I didn't get a chance today to give them a call, if only with the thought that, with them having the same name, they likely have fielded calls for the "other" AC&M, and may be able to give information on how to get in contact with them.

After writing the inquiry here decided to try another Google search (last time was several months ago), and this time hit low-grade pay dirt.

One of the hits led me to the web page and resume of a professor at the Howe School of Technology Management, and learned he was the co-founder of the AC&M in question. It was located in Eagle, PA, and he was with them from 1973 to 1978. Sent him an email in the hope he keeps tabs on his old company, but haven't received a reply yet.

I think there are alot of contract engineering companies that can and will reverse engineer boards, and depending on the complexity, could cost you some large amount. If it has a programmable part, and its protected, then unless you or they can understand its function, might be in a tight spot. Just know you will typically pay by the hour for this work, and it will range from $60 to $100 per hour (average)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back