Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

obtaining a PE license while working for a contractor? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rileyblack

Civil/Environmental
Nov 30, 2008
US
I graduated college about a year ago and I have found that sitting behind a desk most of the time is not for me. I worked for contractors as a laborer and really enjoyed being outside all day until I graduated college. So my question is: what is the likelihood of obtaining a PE license when working for a contractor rather than a full-time design engineer? I understand that I will still have to do a lot of design work to show experience, but I also want to get outside more and be something like a superintendent or project manager. The reason I ask is that some of my professors in college had said that it was possible, although it may be difficult to show adequate experience to licensing boards.

Also, I really want to obtain a PE license because I believe that it will make me better and more valuable as a superintendent or project manager. I have spoken with a few superintendents who seem to believe this.

Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

rileyblack

Hooking up with the right contractor "might" negate my next comment.

Get your P.E. first, then venture out. You may find the field/jungle much more demanding and stressful than you would have liked.

It has been my experience that individuals are either good on the boards/screens or good in the field. Only the special ones are suited for both locations.

Being thrown in the frying pan too early might not be good for you.

Hope this helps.

Have you been working toward your EIT? That would seem to be the first step.

I think that you should stick it out and get your PE first. Then, all options are open. Jumping ship first runs the risk that you won't get to where you need to be, and you might not so easily get back to the track where you can get your PE.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

In the U.S. you must work under a PE to get a PE license. If the contractor has PE's on staff and you work under their guidance you might be OK. Also, most states require evidence of a growing level of understanding and design responsibility in some engineering application. You might have trouble achieving that with a construction firm.

Larger construction firms do have engineering departments and engineering activities but these also usually are desk-oriented jobs - just maybe a bit more time outdoors.

If you aren't happy in the office, you should try very hard to get out now. A PE might seem like a good thing to have to make you more sellable; but, if it makes you more marketable in an area that you don't want to be in, then what is the point?

What aspect of field work interests you? If it is doing the labor, then you should go do that. I worked with a millwright superintendent for several years who had a bachelor's in mechanical engineering. He acknowledged that he didn't want to be an engineer, but his engineering degree did help make him a really good superintendent. There is no dishonor in the trades; if you feel drawn to that area, then go into it, now. Don't wait.

Zilch... You need to work under the direct supervision of a licensed PE to count ANY time toward the PE. End of discussion.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

"You need to work under the direct supervision of a licensed PE to count ANY time toward the PE."

Wrong. It might be more or less true in the Civil Eng field, but it is not a universal requirement. If you work in an industry where there are few if any PE's and no one is required to have a PE or to stamp anything, then you don't need to work under a PE; all you need to show is relevant experience and have appropriate references. After 20 years in industry I took the silly/stupid/irrelevant test and got a PE license; never worked under a PE.

But in the Civil Eng field the state Board is probably unlikely to count any work experience not done while working under a PE (at least that seems to be the case from my reading of the various postings on this forum).

OK, for other disciplines, I stand corrected.

But from my experience as a Civil/Structural from which I was speaking, I'll stand by what I said. Work under a PE.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

SWComposites,

I guess I'm not familiar with Aerospace "PE" licenses and didn't actually know that they even existed. But the original poster was a Civil/Environmental tagged handle so I'm assuming that Mike's (and my) response was directed at that arena.

For Civil engineers, in most all 50 states in the US (if not all 50) you need to work under a PE to get licensed.

Civil structural engineers are common in construction management. Plenty of engineering occurs at job sites to support construction and coordinate "site queries" with the office design engineers. Consider obtaining sufficient home office engineering experience to familiarize with the procedures before moving into construction support.

You will need to document the sort of engineering work done at site. Construction engineers frequently determine the area of steel sheet required to reinforce grating on a platform to permit moving equipment exceeds the weight per area for that area. Also, home office budgets rarely provide the level of detail required for some installation issues. Field engineers work with the "full-scale-model" to complete many details. Instrumentation and control systems engineers often participate in the checkout, commissioning, startup and initial operations of process plants.

Site engineering experience is a good thing to bring to the home office too. I like to hire new graduates who bring something to the table. Construction experience is valuable background for the home office design staff. ALL design engineers should participate in job site support.

I have done it and know others who have. I was licensed orginally in New York about 20 years ago. Bottom line I needed five years experience and it took me sixyears, so if some of your time is working for a contractor,you may need an additional year of exeperience. I worked for a few highway contractors, did a lot of site enginering, none under a PE, put worked with PE's on the other side of the fence. Went to grad school, which counted for a year and worked for a consultant. Although when I was in contracting, I did not work under a PE, There are many contracting firms now that have PE's on staff. I would consider working for one of those. There does seem to be more focus on the experience being under a PE these days.
It has proven to be tremendously valuable. I design and build all types of strucures, mostly temporary across a wide varitey of disiplines. I have defended my work in arbitrations to settle payment disputes. If I were not a PE, I would not be able to do a good percentage of what I do.
A couple of suggestions, as mentioned earlier, Take the FE now if you have not already done so.This will in addition to getting it out of the way, make you more marketable to firms looking to hire a engineer to develop into a PE.
Second keep good notes on what you do. When you write up the application, its all in how you tell the story. Explain how what you did required you to use engineering principals, or allowed you to observe the application of engineering. However Do not embellish or strech. Be 100% truthful.
If the state you are applying to useses the NCEE form, use that form. THat way if you need a licence in another state, you do not have to go through the application process again.
As soon as you feel you have the minimum amount of experience, apply. Your application will either be accepted, or tell you how much more experience you need.
Talk to a Board member about what you do. They may have some suggestions.

Good Luck

Wow, the American system.

Here in Canada, no question to get your P.Eng. you need four years work experience under a P.Eng, every discipline. No exceptions (although, foreign engineers do fight this sometimes).

How can you trust any PE to sign a document when he's possibly never had anything stamped and approved by some one qualified? The point of the work experience is so the licenser can go back to the mentor PE and grill him with his career as collateral if experience comes into question.

Thanks for all your input. I was hoping more of your responses would have been like DRC1's, though If anyone else has a positive experience with this please share with me.

Also, in case it may help in responding, I took the FE test two years ago, graduated with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering a year ago, and have been working under a PE in New York ever since (plus a few summers and winters). So, I am in the process of getting the requirements out of the way.

Here is one odd reply for you
You may be enjoying the wrong kind of work.

this is what I tell my kids when I see people working outside in the cold, on construction sites:
"If your grades are not excellent, you'll end up digging trenches in the cold, you don't want to do that, do you?"

Morality: think of providing to your familiy with your brain, not with your feet. Get indoors, work with a computer, where it's nice and warm.

I broke my leg a few years back, I was able to get back to the office after two days, I wouldn't have if I were on a construction site. I was able to work on a wheelchair, construction sites are not handicap friendly as you know.
Imagine such a thing would happen to you with two kids and a housewife.

I also travelled overseas for family emergencies, I was able to write some specs while away and get a paycheck. Have laptop, will travel.

Brain beats legs any day.

cry22, Wow.

I've heard of self-righteous engineers, but man.

Some one has to dig trenches. Some one has to be the janitor, and some one has to build your house. I've worked residential construction before and I enjoyed it a lot.

But now I'm an engineer, and I miss working outside sometimes. I don't even know where to start, but discouraging your kids from doing trades or anything but academics? That's just wrong, man and some one has to say it. Brain is important, but so is being happy at what you do every day.

Kudos to you, rileyblack for looking beyond the status quo.

rileyblack,
In my state, project management experience is specifically EXCLUDED as experience that will count towards the PE requirements. Something to consider. It sounds like you are well on your way to meeting the requirements to take the PE exam. I think if PE is your goal, I would probably stick it out, get my PE and then decide what you want to do. A lot can change in 2 years that may lead you in a different path, or you may find that you really do like what you do...

You may also want to rethink how valuable getting the license is in the field your interested in.

As SWComposites said it's not nesecarry, in some areas, to work directly under a PE simply because there isn't anyone to work under. It took me six years to get the four years I needed to sit for the exam for this reason. In the end I got a pat on the back and something to hang in my cube. I wanted to get my license for personal reasons so I had no expectation of more money or anything and my expectations were met.

If it looks like the area you want to work in doesn't have any PE's to work with maybe it's not as valuable as you hope it will be.

A Civil Engineer can't sharpen a pencil without a PE but a Mechanical can design an airplane without one.

Just make sure you are getting it for the right reasons. It may take longer than you want but there is always a way to get your license while doing what you love. I'm proof positive of that.

Cry 22
"If your grades are not excellent, you'll end up digging trenches in the cold, you don't want to do that, do you?"

Why do you assume the guys working outside did not have good grades. Most of our guys, yes do prefer working in warm weather, but enjoy construction as a career, and are in general pretty inteligent people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back