Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Off the shelf rack and pinion parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks, I have seen the microscope folks but that is way too expensive. The assembly I attached a picture of was about $25. I am looking for components to help me do that same thing.

Brody

There is companies like granger and others that sell similar mechanism try to google it and see what pops up.
there is small stands with threaded rods that can do the same. what your looking for can be built with aluminum bar by a shop.

Inexpensive tripods often have a rack and pinion like that. If it's what you want for $25, why not buy it? If not, what features do you need that the example doesn't have?

Screenshot_2024-03-05_103654_gdlojl.png

Thanks but I am designing it for a stereo camera for 3d measurements. This is for my company. I was just looking for individual components.

"what features do you need that the example doesn't have?"

How long, what diameter, what weight is it to carry? What budget is the limit? Why rack and pinion instead of screw thread and crank? What section size for the rack?

Are you able to take items apart to re-purpose them or do they have to be exact fit and ready to assemble with or without tools?

Is this for one unit or 100,000 units? Prototype or deliverable?

3D measurements - how precise does the action need to be? How sensitive to movement?

I'm looking in that picture and I see a custom extrusion for the support and another custom extrusion to hold the crank/knob assembly. Do you want just the tiny sliver of rack?

I have a couple of David White Stereo Realist cameras as well as some nicely made slide-bars for regular cameras. I also have a reasonably good projector and lenticular silver screen.

I sent an email off to my supplier in Schenzen to see if he can hook me up with some of the individual components like the off the shelf usb led lighting along with the rack and pinion knob assemblies. We are hoping to sell thousands. We have proprietary software that works with the stereo camera. Thanks for everyone's comments.

Right click the image that 3DDave kindly posted for you and select "search image with Google". You'll find that there are many microscope stages that seem to use that same aluminum profile with the rack machined. So, it's likely a stock extrusion somewhere. You just need to find the somewhere.

The Bosch-Rexroth aluminum profile system has a rack and pinion accessory, but it might be too coarse and have too much backlash for you.

There are things like this available, although focused at the hobby "maker" market.
Almost any of the big names in linear motion will have guide rails with rack and pinion as an option. But you're likely to then say that you also need cheap, and such things are not cheap.

Bishop Wisecarver is often the least expensive of the big names. For example:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back