Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Offered a job, but should I accept it? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurbineGen

Electrical
Mar 1, 2007
US
So I was laid off in April due to the economy and have been doing a seemingly frivolous job search ever since. I lucked out and actually got an interview with a company and now they are going to make me an offer.

Here's my dilemma: the job is in a small town in central Wisconsin. There's little entertainment and there is snow on the ground 6 months of the year. Ever since I moved to the southern states I have enjoyed the warmer climates and this area is like living in an empty freezer. I have no wife or kids to worry about so I'm pretty mobile.

One one hand, I think I would be foolish to turn down an offer in times like these. The offer is quite good and the job sounds excellent. Working in a non union plant as the lead electrical engineer is quite and honor. They've promised me a long leash and I will be in charge of many projects.

On the other hand however, I can't say how long I will be able to last out there. I feel it would be dishoroable as a professional to take a job being uncertain that I can make it work out for more than a year or two. I am back to working construction and can keep my head above water without too much trouble, but it certainly doesn't do my engineering career any good.

I am just looking for advice/perspectives on this one. What should I do?

Thanks in advance

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Forget the beer (fizzy, flavourless). Forget the cheese (yellow, plastic). Many mercans don't believe there is a place in England called Cheddar, where they make cheese. Anyway...

I would go for it. You cannot judge a place until you've lived through all four seasons there. After that, you'll probably like it more than you could have imagined. Also, you'll like "home" more too.

I moved from temperate (wet, & rainy) UK to the mid-west. I found the summers stupidly hot; the winters stupidly cold. When I say "stupidly", I mean I found the weather truly funny. I still miss it.

Snow can be fun too. Must watch Fargo again.

- Steve

The Tick has a very good point. I have no idea where in WI you mean and I won’t probe if you do not want to reveal, so I took a stab and guessed Eau Claire for a starting place.

What do you mean nothing to do? There’s the car on stilts, or the giant statue of Paul Bunyon and Babe, or the ship-shaped car wash. The possibilities are endless......

Try the roadside america webpage and type in the City and State for a listing of attractions

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

Go where-ever you want. Bring the fun with you...

I envy your opportunity, but I'm a bit old to be moving. Snow is probably much easier to live with than major hurricanes.

old field guy

When an employer says that they are looking for a long term employee, what they are really saying is:

"We want the opportunity to get rid of you by our choice, rather than you choosing when to get rid of us."

Take the job.

Do you have any idea how many workin' folks have taken a job somewhere, with the idea of "only being there awhile, a couple of years, at most" and end up living perfectly happy, productive lives, raising their kids, and not "living lives of quite desperation......"?

A bunch.

I'm one of 'em.

Casseopeia, I got a good chuckle out of the Paul Bunyon comment. When I was a kid we went to see family in Minnesota every summer and stopping for all the road side attractions through the midwest. I remember thinking that Paul and Babe were one of the better ones.

I would echo many of the other comments and say go for it. You may enjoy it more than you think.

I prefer Larry the Logroller to Paul Bunyun.

It is disappointing that I believe Larry was a lumberjack until people got upset about all the foresting going on in the area. Larry's a good guy, and I hope that it wasn't much of a demotion for him. Maybe I should start a petition, or see if there's a lumberjacking union I could discuss it with.

-- MechEng2005

I just moved from my home in Missouri where I grew up and went to school. I moved away from all my friends who got jobs in St. Louis. But I have to say I don't regret it. I moved to New Mexico and while it took about 3 months I learned to really like it here. If you go in with a positive attitude and try to enjoy yourself you would be suprised how much a place can grow on you.

My theory was I was young and mobile so I should get the best experience I could and make the most money I could. Eventually I want to get back home but until then I am making more than all my friends and getting a lot more experience!

In these hard times you have a unique opportunity to gain experience, demonstrate commitment and advance your career.

On the other hand you have the opportunity to spend god knows ow long in marginal unstable employment in your going nowhere comfort zone.

You sound young (I will skip the lecture on the folly in child rearing philosophy that started to come into vogue about 40 years ago) so any experienced gained right now will have a disproportionally large impact on your future career.

To reject this because you are not prepared to move, then ask for a job in a "nicer" area when one is available is career suicide. It shows you as excessively self serving and uncommitted to their cause.

Take the job and learn and build experience and EARN respect. That way will open a path to a better post in future either within that corperation or with another

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

There are some people who cant hack the winters up there. They are long and painful for the 2.5 months of good summer weather that may occur. I have a cabin near on a lake near Tomahawk and several neighbors tried retiring up there but couldn't take watching the ice break up on the lake in April. Most will live half the year in florida and the other half up north.

At the same time, I personally would think it'd be an awesome experience if I had a job up there to keep me busy most of the time. Would buy PLENTY of toys. Boats, snowmobiles, skis, big truck to take on the massive snow drifts, etc.

If you're used to city life, strip malls, driving a little foreign car, and think 45 degrees is cold you'll probably be miserable.

Sometimes losing your job is the best thing that can happen to you. Now you can find a better job, better locale, lower cost of living, nicer people, relaxed long life style, etc.

I visited Phoenix on business in July and it felt like walking into an oven - not for me. In the hotel magazine, there was an article by a local author who said that she embraced the locale, the climate, everything. In high summer she would walk in the desert to explore flora and fauna.

Embrace your new job and locale.

Looks like I'm taking the job. I'll be looking for a snowmobile and perhaps a 4-wheeler. I'm going to make the best of it. maybe I'll like it. If not, well, there will be something else eventually. I guess I better take up drinking too.... I'll start tonight.

Thanks guys.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back