Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Offered a job, but should I accept it? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurbineGen

Electrical
Mar 1, 2007
US
So I was laid off in April due to the economy and have been doing a seemingly frivolous job search ever since. I lucked out and actually got an interview with a company and now they are going to make me an offer.

Here's my dilemma: the job is in a small town in central Wisconsin. There's little entertainment and there is snow on the ground 6 months of the year. Ever since I moved to the southern states I have enjoyed the warmer climates and this area is like living in an empty freezer. I have no wife or kids to worry about so I'm pretty mobile.

One one hand, I think I would be foolish to turn down an offer in times like these. The offer is quite good and the job sounds excellent. Working in a non union plant as the lead electrical engineer is quite and honor. They've promised me a long leash and I will be in charge of many projects.

On the other hand however, I can't say how long I will be able to last out there. I feel it would be dishoroable as a professional to take a job being uncertain that I can make it work out for more than a year or two. I am back to working construction and can keep my head above water without too much trouble, but it certainly doesn't do my engineering career any good.

I am just looking for advice/perspectives on this one. What should I do?

Thanks in advance

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's in Wisconsin Rapids. Basically the geometric center of the state if there was one. The more I think about it, the more I look forward to it.

Best to ya, TurbineGen!!

Wow, if you have the choice from time to time, fly into the Central Wisconsin Airport at Mosinee / Wausau instead of the big one at Madison. It looks like you'll be equidistant from the two.

The landings at CWA are MUCH more thrilling, especially in winter when the wheel brakes on the plane are meaningless.

Good on ya!

Goober Dave

TurbineGen said:
I feel it would be dishoroable as a professional to take a job being uncertain that I can make it work out for more than a year or two.

I know it's a little late for a comment, but why did you consider the job in the first place if that is the case?

[link ]
btn_liprofile_blue_80x15.gif" width="80" height="15" border="0" alt="View Clyde's profile on LinkedIn
[/url]

Madison is a fun town and it's close to Wisconsin Rapids. It's even more fun if you are young with a strong liver. Are people in WI still drinking Bloody Mary's with a beer chaser the morning after a hard night of Jagermeister shots? (not that I did any such thing, mind you) ;-)

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

Cass: Yes, as long as there are mornings after, there will be Bloody Marys.

Congrats on the new job and good luck TG!

Besides the beer, cheese, snowmobile, and 4-wheeler, be sure to add some new green & gold apparel, or you'll look out of place. Blaze orange is also a good substitute and acceptable show of support. ;)

-- MechEng2005

MechEng, It's not the Bloody Mary's I found odd. It was the little, baby-sized beer chaser typical in those parts. Sort of an extra, miniature pincher version to follow up the full-sized, rottweiler hair-of-the-dog.

Speaking of pinchers and rottweilers, you will also find that German food and culture is prevalent throughout WI. If you ever find yourself in Milwaukee, check out Usingers Sausage shop. My German ExHusband insisted on special trips to Usingers from Chicago just for a particular sausage considered unsuitable for human consumption delicious by German people. I'd tell you what that was but I'm afraid my mind has completely blocked out the memory to maintain my fragile sanity.

A good expression to learn if you do not care for such things (sulze, or head cheese comes to mind) is EEEE GIT. It means 'yuk'.

Oh come on! As a former boss, there is nothing in this thread that I would find particularly damning. I'd expect someone from a warmer climate to be unsure of how they will adapt to life in central Wisconsin.

I'd be very happy about the number of enthusiastic 'go for its' in this thread and suggestions for a rich social life of downing saurbraten, bratwurst and beer! I held back on the suggestion of wearing green and gold or dredging up GB Packers jokes, tempting as it was.

Clyde38 - I take everything in a positive light and make the best of it. More times than I can count, my first impressions have been inaccurate. I give everything the benefit of the doubt. After talking to some people from the area, I think I might really enjoy myself out there. When was the last time you did something you thought you'd dislike and turned out to really enjoy it? It happens to me all of the time.

MechEng - I'm a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I was born and raised in the city of the Primanti sandwich and Iron City (pronounced "Arn city") beer. I'll be wearing black and gold. I hope I can get an Iron City in Wisconsin.

Cass - Mmmm German food. I can't pass up a good yagershnitzel or bratwurst. Throw in a few hot wings... ok now I'm hungry.

Looks like my skis and snowboard will be get some use this season outside of the Rockies. I might have to buy a propane heater for the garage too. I can't live without my shop... at least not for long.

I own a business in Colorado and I receive piles of resumes from people willing to fill positions that they are over-qualified for. Their primary goal is not to reach fulfillment in their career, but rather to live in a beautiful part of the country. After my extensive travel throughout the US and abroad (including business trips and as a baseball coach for a youth travel team), I can tell you that your sorroundings are what you make of them. I have seen beauty (albeit a different kind) in every corner of the country. I spent a couple of weeks in the Omaha area and I actually missed the humidity, thick forests, and sunsets when I returned to the arid climate of Colorado. If you have the luxury, spend a couple weeks there and look around. You may be surprised.

Don't upset the ladies up there... and no spade-related antics either [wink] thread1088-251199

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I am in the Southern States and I am actually getting more calls from employers than I have ever gotten in my whole life, albeit I finished school in 2005, I would take the job and look for another job. How are you able to coordinate the interview for that job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back