Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Office - low airflow options 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clymber

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2003
US
I'm working on a revision to a dean's office at a local campus. The main air handler is a CV unit with no excess capacity. The new office layout will require additional cooling airflow than originally designed. What are my options to improve this situation? A fan-powered box would draw warm air from the plenum and probably not help with cooling. An inline booster fan may work, but would 'steal' supply air from other branches on the main duct. Any ideas on other options?

Thanks in advance.
Clymber[sub][/sub]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Take the existing air supply and see if you can design it into a displacement ventilation low level supply, and stratify some of the cooling load to the ceiling/return plenum. You can "effectively" get the cooling you need from low level displacement ventilation since a large percentage of the cooling load of the room is removed in the stratified ceiling air keeping the comfort level better at the human level of the room. May need to reheat or use that fan-powered VAV box to mix cooler supply air get the minimum temperature of the DV supply air up to +/- 63F-64F.

I likeGMcD thinking
The ductless suggestions are also good.
My additional two cents
You can re-sheave the CV fan for more airflow if your coil is sized for less than 500 fpm. You may be able to increase your CV system capacity, and rebalance the system. You can increase airflow thru the coil up to 500 fpm
My other three cents
You can lower SA temperature a couple of degrees or more (say from 55/56 to 53) and you may get enough capacity for your space, re-balance entire system of course.

- What is the percentage between new load and existing load?
- is there any load reduction in other parts of the building due to this renovation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back