Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Officer needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojvl32

Military
Mar 14, 2006
US
I hope I am not intruding on your group but I need assistance with electrical motors. I am a firearms instructor and want to build a laterial moving target system. What kind of electric motor do I need that I could hook up to a pully? I want to be able to reverse direction and change the speed. To draw a picture--the motor would be mounted on a wall, on the opposite wall would be a pully. A cable with a target holder would run between the motor and the pully. Again I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question, but I know very little about motors. Thank-you all for any assistance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think a small three phase, gearhead motor with the pulley mounted directly on the shaft and driven by a VFD will do the job. What is used at other target ranges. If there is something on the market, it may be better than trying to re-invent the wheel. On the other hand, nitch markets tend to be overpriced.
yours

Wow, there appears to be someone that builds whatever you want!

The "Running Man" as shown in the first of machmech's links appears to be exactly what you are describing. They use a 90VDC motor and a 110VAC input DC drive. Fairly simple and inexpensive, although I would shy away fro DC just because of the maintenance issue. Given that you are military this thing will likely get more use that an occasional truip to the firing range.

You could do the same thing with a AC 3 phase 220V motor and a VFD that takes 110V 1 phase AC and puts out 220V 3 phase AC. The VFDs are fairly cheap, the motors would be slightly more than DC, but no brushes to wear out and need maintenance. Depending on how heavy your target is, I can't imagine needing anything more than 1/4HP.

Eng-Tips: Help for your job, not for your homework Read faq731-376 [pirate]

jojvl32, are you in North America with 120V 60Hz power available to you or are you overseas someplace with some different power source?

Thank you all for your responses. Just to clarify I am not in the military, but I had to pick an occupation to register and I think that was closest to police officer. I am in the US (peoples republic of Wisconsin). I have looked at market lateral movers but they are too expensive for our department (though Im sure they are worth their weight in gold with all that engineering expertise -yes a little kissing up never hurts). I am looking for AC powered. Stevekw, I see that motor i reversable, is the speed adjustable? The motor does not need to be fast nor does it need to be werfull, it would just move a cable and a cardboard target or two.
Again thank-you all for your assistance.

jojvl32
I've got a few people here in our office I'd certainly like to volunteer as moving targets with the added benefit you don't need to worry about volts, torque or speed...
:)

Sed2-thanks for the offer but the Chief said we couldn't afford to feed them before using them.
resqcapt19-we had tried that in the past with little success. I think stevekw was on the mark (thank-you) if anyone knows of a cheap combo let me know...and please dumb it down for me, Im just a simple donut eating cop.

Not to endorse one supplier over another, but this does make it a one-stop shop. gearmotor link VFD link

What you will need to do is determine the maximum linear speed you want the target to move and the size of the pulley to calculate the maximum shaft speed of the gearbox. The VFD will take care of everything below that.

LOL, no such thing! The concept of "bullet proof" is just a challenge in my experience. I used to build pump control systems that often ended up in the woods. We used 1/2" steel plate for the enclosures and after the first season you could see the pock marks from being hit by .3006 slugs. Next year, the serious dents left by .45's, and within 5 years the armor piercing rounds would come out and make it through.

Good repeat business that was, but I felt sorry for the owners.

Probably cheaper to feed sed2's office mates! Linear motors have their uses for sure, but overkill for this I would think.

I plan on having the motor on the side furthest from the shooting so bullet resistance isn't much of an issue....though we do have some "challenging" shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back