Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offset Section View jog lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

smcadman

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2002
US
This is from a thread in the Solidworks forum called "Section jog makes a solid line in section view", thread5559-147246 . Basically the question is: do you show the "jog" lines on an Offset Section View? To show an example of this, I found a PDF on the web, on page 7.

Note that the jog lines are not shown in the offset section. It was pointed out in the Solidworks forum that it was drawn in AutoCAD, I say it isn't an AutoCAD way of doing things, rather ANSI standards. What do current ANSI or ASME standards say is the correct way of showing the jog lines? Do you not show them or not?

Flores
Solidworks 2006

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

smcadman,

I am feeling a wave of nostalgia for the good old days of pencils and drafting boards when I could present my drawings whatever way I damn well pleased. These days, we are all at the mercy of whatever is it our CAD software wants to do. It is possible in SolidWorks to hide the bend lines. I do not know about the other 3D CAD packages.

My rather old Genium manual does not show the bend lines, but it does not say not to do them.

Standard or no standard, the bend lines make the discontinuities obvious. The drawing I am working on at the moment would be confusing without them.

JHG

PER ASME Y14.3-2003, The "Jog" lines are not indicated in any way on the sectioned view.

According to Multi and Secional View Drawings ASME/ANSI Y14.3 - Offset Section lines are not shown in the section view.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success." - Henry Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back