Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Oil carry over in the distance piece in the vertical Laby type reciprocating compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP007

Mechanical
Apr 13, 2010
SA
In my plants, we have Laby type two stage 4 cylinder vertical reciprocating compressor.

Currently facing the issue of the Oil carry over to the distance piece area above the scrapper ring. even after replacement of new oil scrapper ring still facing the issue of oil carry over to the distance piece area( between packing to guide bearing area).

I could not have clear reason for the oil carry over with new oil scrapper ring in just just couple of days. facing only in one of piston rod only other three oil scrapper ring is found ok. Oil is supplying through the orifice on piston rod just below the Guide bearing area through tubing.

I would like to know the following from expert group

1. what are the possible causes for the oil carry over at distance piece area.
2. if oil carry over the at distance piece is there any harm to packing ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Scraper ring assembly may be wrongly installed; it has many segments. Mech maintenance crew should also check assembly drawings and ask compressor manufacturer if all parts supplied are matching / suit those for your assembly.

No assembly mistake, it was installed as per drawing. notch matching done. Leak is very minor I had doubt of oil supplying to piston rod tubing which supplying oil spray injection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back