Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oil detection method in an effluent flow of water? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yobbo

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2003
NL
I am looking for an adequate method to detect oil in an effluent flow. Due to stringent environmental regulations I need to detect quickly if an effluent flow contains traces of oil in order to prevent unacceptable emission of oil into the environment. I have been thinking about a gravitational separator, separarting the oil from the water stream, but then I still have to detect the gathered oil.
If you can help me with this I really would like to hear from you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A gravity separator is capable of removing much of the oil, but will typically allow around 10 mg/l to pass through. If you have a stringent regulation, you probably need additional oil removal equipment.

A quick test for oil in water is to flake off some flakes from a Camphor Stick (available in most Pharmacies) into a bowl of water. If the flakes spin there is no oil. If they do not spin oil is present. Not a quantitive test but one that indicates presence. Subject lab tests will give the quantity.

Gary Schreiber, CWS VI
The Purolite Co.

Dear sir
Orelis Environment provides ceramic membrane unit KLEARSEP dedicated to bilge water treatment. Oil detection is done on line using Bilgmon 488 produced by BRANNSTROM - Sweden
Best regards

Orelis Environment, located in France, provides turnkey plant, installed on board and able to produce seewater oil free (less than 5 ppm).(UF Permeate analysis is done using online specific oil analyser BilgMon 488 -trade mark BRANNSTROM - Sweden
Best regards
Herve PRADELLE
Senior Business Manager
herve.pradelle@orelis.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back