Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old Reliable sprinkler - Which respond time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagge

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2008
DK
I have uploaded some pictures of an old Reliable sprinkler, that need to be replaced. They have been sitting in a sky lights. My problem is, that I do'nt know the response time - so I do'nt know which sprinkler type to replace them with. Anybodu that knows the type?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for your quick answer. But how can you say, that it's a standard response? Is there a specific way to see that?

Check the date on the sprinkler. I don't believe that QR sprinklers came out until mid 90's.

Therefore, it could not have been a QR.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC

Where?
Temperature rating?
What is the occupancy?
Hazard Classification?
Wet, dry, or pre-action?
Is it a pipe-schedule system?
Orifice diameter?
Ceiling sprinkler rating? (Appears to be a 165F 1/2 orifice sprinkler) but you didn't say
Why does it need to be replaced? It's tarnished from the photos but it looks functional.

It's a standard response sprinkler based on the link design.

The link is thicker than my toe nails (I eat lots of cheese, which makes calcium, which makes toenails).

PS: What will you do if you know the RTI? Model it? That fact you want a response time without using the proper term tells me you are branching into engineering.

PPS: What is Q prime of the design fire?

I am very apprehensive about this post. This sounds like some health care sprinkler post from New Mexico posted last week on another web site. I call this forum shopping.

NFPA 13-2007 Section 8.3.2.5 (4)
Sprinklers under glass or plastic skylights exposed to the direct rays of the sun shall be of the intermediate-temperature classification.

Table 6.2.5.1
Max ceiling temperature of 100°F requires aordinary temp rating of of 135-170 °F
Max ceiling temp of 150°F requires an intermedeiate temp rating of 175-225 °F
Max ceiling temperature of 225°F requires a high temp head of 250=300 °F rating.

Are those heads being replaced because thay are older than 50 yearsor 75 yeears? Or have some been tested and failed the testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back