Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

old sketcher interface in nx 1980? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

multicaduser

Industrial
Jan 29, 2013
US
Can the old sketcher be used in NX 1980? We've just jumped from 1903 to 1980 and some of our old sketches in configurable part files are acting completely wrong in the new sketcher. Until we figure this out is there a switch/variable that can be set to use the old sketcher? So far I've found nothing.

tia

NX 1899 Windows 10

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Menu -> file -> utilities -> early access feature.. Turn on the "use the classic solver and UI for sketching" option. You'll probably need to restart NX for the change to take effect.

Note that if you have edited a sketch with the new solver and saved the file, the sketch can only use the new solver. Unedited sketches should open in the old solver.

www.nxjournaling.com

Thanks for the help, worked great. The new sketcher assumes too many things, going to take a while to learn. We have so many legacy sketches that I'm not sure how to move up to the new sketcher and still work with the old ones, it will me a minor inconvenience to reset option then restart nx every time.

NX 1899 Windows 10

Update, after working with the new sketcher I have to say it seems broken. Following several videos and other reference materials it is not working on two completely different systems so I'm ruling out graphics issues. First, persistent constraints are not displayed unless the geometry is picked first. Second, they do not relax under any circumstance including adding dimensions. Going to have to give the new sketcher a miss for now until there are some answers why it isn't working as designed.

Has anyone else been using the new sketcher and what has your experience been?

NX 1899 Windows 10

We have been using the new sketcher here for a few months now. Some days I can see how it is supposed to work if you follow a new way of thinking, but most days I just hate it. It just flat don't work right. Aside from the whole persistent vs. non-persistent relations, it just don't work right. We continue to have relations to included curves that won't update and geometric constraints just disappear when "renew and update" old sketches.

It probably wouldn't be as hard to learn a whole new way of thinking about sketches if it did what it was supposed to do. I am hoping future releases fix all the issues.

pencilgeek I agree completely, it's not that the new sketcher hasn't been given a chance in creating a new sketch, it's that I cannot predict the result when editing. This is the first time in longer than I can remember thinking the new sketcher is a fail. The best thing with sketcher happened when they bought IDEAS and incorporated their sketcher. Not giving up on it yet.

NX 1899 Windows 10

These feature toggles are difficult to control site wide. I have attached A PDF Document on deploying shared NX feature toggle configs.

We have many old I-Deas sketches, this conversion process to the new sketcher is not to fun, the sketch which is already been through one migration, (I-Deas to NX) now has to survive another one. After the conversion to the new sketcher the sketch now does not behave like it should have when dragging and modifying, before it gets converted.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=190e61e2-aa32-4c08-b6ea-9378e8de1053&file=Deploying_shared_NX_feature_Toggle_configurations.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back