Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Older drivers drive older (less safe) cars, and die more often as a result - IIHS study

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect if they are 'killed outright' then the costs to the insurance companies is are diminished.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

researchers determined that crash fatalities could be reduced by 3 percent for drivers 70 and older and 5 percent for drivers 80 and older if they drove vehicles with the same safety profile as their middle-aged counterparts. Based on the crash data for 2019, that would translate to about 90 lives saved a year.

I think we can safely put this research into the 'pointless stuff to write about' category. I expect 90 people a year die from infected toenails, which has a much cheaper solution than buying new cars for all the wrinklies.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

It talks about Florida ! When I spend a bit of time there, I saw more backing up from grocery store parking lot fender benders than any other state that I had been in. I think I saw at least 10 maybe more in a very short span. And yes it was older drivers that were mostly doing it. On a particular busy street near me I have seen a few vehicle flip overs on to their sides, and in those cases it was younger drivers. So you can't blame it all on the age of the driver. Driving is a skill level thing, you either have it or you don't, I'd say about 90 plus percent people driving do not have the skill level. Driver training is not done correctly, it should start on a race track learning how to control the vehicle in turns and slippery conditions, then advance to normal grand ma driving on the normal roads.
Age of the vehicle and safe? The main problem is lack of the correct safety features like the race proven devices that protect those drivers, number one being a roll cage crash structure, and proper seat belting. As a note there are no airbags in race cars and drivers constantly walk away from 100 plus miles per hour crashes.

GregLocock:

Please don't call me a "wrinkly".
There's only some bits wrinkly thank you! [sad]

H

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

"Based on the crash data for 2019, that would translate to about 90 lives saved a year."

Assuming the "Engineering Disasters" forum covers only 20% of the Tesla autopilot wrecks, I would think far more lives could be saved removing Teslas from the road.

thick skinned, are we? I wear my wrinkles with pride. About 20 years back, I had a drawing prepared by my granddaughter hanging on my office wall. She told me it was upside down. I had thought the curved lines were my mouth... they were actually the wrinkles on my forehead.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Correlations are one thing. Causal correlations are another.

"Schiefgehen wird, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

dik said:
About 20 years back, I had a drawing prepared by my granddaughter hanging on my office wall. She told me it was upside down. I had thought the curved lines were my mouth... they were actually the wrinkles on my forehead.

It was first-angle projection, an easy mistake to make. [tongue]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back