Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Omron instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutsnuts

Mechanical
Feb 6, 2006
GB
Firstly, I`ve never used Omron before, I am more favourable to S5 or S7.

I have uploaded a program from a CQM 1, and it means very little to me at present because i have no symbol table. I have requested a copy from the m/c manufacturer, but in the meantime, can somebody point me in the right direction as to understanding the instruction lists. I have an electrical drawing which i can make my own symbol table from, but i want to be sure i am reading the program correctly.
I was expecting to see I0.1, Q8.2, T53 etc. but i see 000.09, 103.15, 253.13 etc. How does that translate into understandable logic like Siemens??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The numbers you are seeing 000.09, 103.15, and 253.13 are word.bit addresses. Generally speaking the there is several memory areas on the plc one of which is the Core I/O or CIO area. The I/O modules would be located at the lower values such as 000.09. every thing that is not assigned to I/O modules can then be used for "work" areas. This would leave the 103.15 and 253.13 as work bits. If you have a mechanical drawing for the inputs and outputs you can determine the I/O tables and which word.bit combination relate to the physical I/O on the plc. You could then assign your symbols to the I/O. Does that help at all?

Omrom PLC software can be a bit imtimidating if you dont know the addressing structure at first.

Tip 1- With Omron code, always obtain a copy of the programming manual for that particular PLC, available as a PDF file from Omron Websites-link to US/Canada site for best online manuals. The reason for this is some of the addresses that you will find actually do different tasks.

Tip 2- when you upload from the PLC, and save also upload the Data section, DM's. Some programmers have the nasty habit of writing setup data straight into the DM's, without using a write command on power up.

With the CQM1, which is my favourite PLC, the inputs start from word 00, this is the address of the input card thats built in to the CPU-standard feature.

Card addresses start from the CPU and go to the right of the Processor, automatically assigning addresses to the hardware on power up.

Outputs start at word 010 its been a while since I programmed one, and I'm working from memory here.

Words with H addresses are battery backed holding relays-in the event of power failure these retain status.

L words are link words-if you had 2 PLCs connected, by using L addresses no other commands are needed for simple comms.

Inputs and outputs and work bits (words 200-231) form the IR words

AR words are special functions related to specific special IO cards.

SR words are addresses from word 232-255, these are PLC functions, such as error warnings, specific duration pulses-etc. etc.

DMs from 0-999 this is your general data area-very useful.

DM's from 6600 onwards, these are your PLC setup data areas.-careful in altering these.

When you use the manual, the addresses become very clear.

I have used all the major brands, and Omrom may seem simplistic, compared to siemens, but can do some interesting things.

Also tech support is very helpful. You dont say your location, otherwise I could give you some tech support phone numbers, particulary for the UK, and Canada.

Derrick Stableford

Ah dear!!! The old CQM1. Have not used one for years.

Definately download a manual for the PLC. It is absolutely essential to understand the memory map. Omron do not use I, Q, X or Y for external I/O. It is just a huge memory map of numbers but you have to know where evrything is in the memory map. Generally, it is where you place it with the latest PLCs but the CQM1 has fixed addressing, as described above, for physical I/O. The rest of the "numbers" can be used pretty much in any way I you wish. love it because I do not have to fiddle about with %, I, Q, X or Y - just a number. The software does not generally require the use of a mouse either - even the latest version can be set up how you want to use it with key combinations. Marvellous, no RSI from dragging and dropping with a mouse.

The latest little beasts, the CS1 and CJ1, have a function set in excess of 400 - including 64 bit maths and double IEEE 754 floating point if you want to go that far. Even the lowest end processor that can only handle about 150 I/O in the CJ1M range has the same instruction set.

The latest version of CX-Programmer also has a huge range of FBs that can be used or opened and modified for your own use. Extermely easy serial comms at a very low price also. Just roll your own protocol from an existing one. Really easy.

I am doing a job with a Siemens S7 318/2 processor at the moment. I am finding the restrictions of the software and hardware damned annoying quite frankly. Have not used Siemens for some years and cannot wait to get back to Omron CJ1 where I can do what I like.

Believe me, there is not much you can do with Siemens taht you cannot do with Omron these days. There are a number of things Omron have that just about no other manufacturer has by the way.

If you require the manual, here is a link for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back