Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

One Engineer Fights for the Right to be called Engineer 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a degree in mechanical engineering. I should be able to call myself an engineer, or a mechanical engineer. I should not be able to use those terms if I do not have a degree in mechanical engineering. (I know there is some slack in this because I didn't say accredited, and an unaccredited degree could range from a printout from a website to a good engineering school that is working towards accreditation, but I digress) I should not be able to use the term Professioanl Engineer unless I have passed the PE test. This is what logic and common sense dictate. Everyone else and the law is wrong. As for the term engineering in a buisness name I'm not as sure.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

No it's not common sense - which isn't so common.

As I've shared before, several of the best engineers I've worked with didn't have a degree. They'd come up through apprenticeships, with some vocational schooling - maybe equivalent to an AA or something but in the UK was HNC/HND.

These were folks that did extensive analysis, one of them was the chief stress engineer at a smallish (well small office) defence company, signing of Certificates of Design for flight equipment.

Myself and colleagues with our fancy degrees would go an ask these folks technical questions or in some cases have them do the complex analysis for us.

By your definitions Kirby these folks aren't engineers, which I'm sorry to say, is nonsense.

However, I may as well talk to the wind since I don't think anyone's ever changed their mind on this topic all the times it's been discussed.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Don't forget that the phrase "passing the PE test" means nothing to many people. In some parts of the English-speaking World the "P" could easily stand for "Premature".

- Steve

Kenat,

You're right. I guess I'm facing the same dilema the professional societies are facing. I want some benchmark so I can say that this person is qualified to do such and such, but there are many people who have the knowledge and ability without any formal way of recognizing their ability. I was avoiding that issue with my statement about the fluidity of what a degree can mean.

There is no rock solid way of seperating the wheat from the chaff, and what I'm suggesting is just a coarse way (though slightly less coarse then what the professional societies are suggesting) of proving that someone has met some standard of proficency.

My main point is just that reserving the word 'Engineer' only to people with a PE is wrong. Let them reserve 'Professional Engineer', and let that have some specific legal meaning and let me use the term Engineer or mechancial engineer.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

And to comment further on the title of this string, no one has a "right" to be called an engineer. It is a privilege -something earned by an individual, not owed to him.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back