One large footprint RC bldg designed & built as 7 separate bldgs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIGrkr

Structural
Mar 30, 2014
US
One large footprint RC bldg designed & built as 7 separate bldgs
In 25 years of engineering I have never seen a building designed and built as separate buildings. This mostly completed reinforced concrete (RC) building is in a seismic area (Ss=1.30, S1=50), has an 80000 SF footprint, has no irregularities and is 5 stories. The design build contractor designed it as 7 separate buildings (units) with separations varying in width from 7 to 10 inches. Separation looks ok per code if you have to have the separation, but I don't see why. All the "exterior" walls that were just extra work and materials. The contractor says they did it for seismic reasons but I don't see the benefit of having two RC shear walls adjacent to each other. Has anybody designed this way or seen designs or construction done this way?
Thanks, SIGrkr

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I designed a multipurpose type building once, and we designed the entryway as a seperate building with expansion joints. Thay way, the main building didnt 'bang' into it during a EQ.

In seismic area you have to make sure you have enough separation that the buildings don't 'hammer' into each other. Joints are a real issue.

Dik

Thanks ztengguy. An entry like a porte-cochere, open with tall columns? That makes more sense because it may have been easier than tying in the roof diaphragm. Than designing for the appropriate separation per ASCE 7 sec. 12.12.3, for a more slender structure next to the stiffer main building.

Thanks Dik. Seems like joints are a very good reason NOT to make a single building by putting 7 separate ones next to each other. Do you see some advantage? The building is almost square with rigid diaphragms and plenty of interior wall lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back