Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening SolidWorks file in UG 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthwesternDesign

Automotive
Apr 8, 2009
US
I have been sent a file from a vendor that is a solidworks file (.sldprt). I can import it into UG, but only some of the data is there. She suggested that I download the free Eviewer, which I did, but it only allows me to view it. The eviewer shows everything, but the data that I import into UG does not. The vendor has not been too helpful. Is there any reason why only some of the data is imported?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might have better luck with a neutral file format such as STEP, IGES, or (depending on the version of Solidworks) parasolid.

So has the solid body imported fine, and the drawing? Make sure all of your layers are turned on.
SolidWorks can export in parasolid, so I would ask for that - but it really doesn't sound like the person that you are dealing with knows what they are doing.
I really don't know why only some of the data transferred.
Usually vendors are very coopertive about things like this, as they want your business - so maybe ask to speak to someone in engineering.

What type of data are you missing?

I suspect the missing data may be proprietary to Solidworks software.

Much the way Catia's "FD&T"(functional dimensioning and tolerancing) is only usable in Catia or Catia related software.

This is only a guess...

J

NX 6.0.5.3

Thanks all! I have asked them for a different format, but they are unwilling to help much.

jerry- part of the solid geometry is there, but the rest of it is not. They did send a pdf of the assembly print, but 3d geometry would be more useful to me. All layers are on as well.

Jaydenn- Not sure how to answer..the vendor says the file was created in Solidworks and they emailed me the file. I am looking for solid geometry.

How many parts do you have to translate? Do you know any one with solidworks to open the file for you then re translate it? How about a free trial of SOlidworks to get what you need? I do not know if this exist.

sdeters,

They only sent me one file, but there would be multiple solid bodies if it translated correctly. Kinda odd that it did not have the .sldasm extension, but like I said, the assembly opened up in the free viewer. I looked into free solidworks and cannot find one unless I am a student at a college. I do know someone who uses Solidworks, but I will have to see if their company will allow it. Thanks!

Google "Solid Concepts" they make translating software that may do what you need (maybe a free trial...)

I'm always amazed when I see customers being difficult when it comes to models. :-
--
Bill

Yes, that's like letting money walk out of the door.

Seems as if she is not an actual user of the software.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Thanks dtharrett! I tried to upload the file, but it will not go through. Not a big deal. I appreciate your willingness to help.

Unfortunately, the zamzar site would not recognize the sldprt files.

Can you be more specific on what is missing?
Are you expecting the sldprt file to have multiple solid bodies and not getting them all?

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

"They only sent me one file, but there would be multiple solid bodies if it translated correctly. Kinda odd that it did not have the .sldasm extension"

.SLDASM are empty assembly files linking to each .SLDPRT file and making your assembly. Many also model all parts in a single .SLDPRT file. There is an option to not 'Merge Results' (like the Boolean > None option in NX) and you will have many solid bodies inside of one file acting as an assembly.

I'm using NX7.5 and I can open any SolidWorks part files directly.

I can open any SolidWorks files if you need help.

markrief, you are correct. I have attached a .bmp of the assembly that I could open with an eviewer. When I open up the same file in UG, all I get is the square tubing frame.

Bigguy, I was wondering the same thing about the sldasm extension. I tried changing it, but no dice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back