Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Opinion on Course on Electrodynamic Shakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SrinivasAluri

Mechanical
Jun 24, 2004
IN
I have done some testing using electrodynamic shakers, mostly sine dwell testing but I want to learn advanced stuff with shakers (Random vibration, multiple shaker testing etc). I wanted your opinion about the Fundamentals of Electrodynamic Vibration Test Systems course offered by ITES, . Please keep in mind that I have to pay the $425 for it myself!!

Are there better ways to learn this stuff? I do have access to vibration equipment such as data acquisition system, accels and shakers.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, I reckon you are $425 richer than if you hadn't asked the question.

There's a B&K book on MIMO modal analysis that covers the theoretical implications, and, practically, it's just a question of detail.

I must admit I picked up everything I know about shakers along the way rather than from books. That may explain my lack of success with MIMO in particular (grin).

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

No luck with B&K, looks like the book "Modal Analysis of Large Structures - Multiple Exciter Systems" is not in print anymore. I would appreciate if anyone can point out to other resources on MIMO testing?

"Modal Testing: Theory and Practice" by DJ Ewins has quite a bit of information in it. I have plenty of experience so feel free to ask any specific questions in this forum.

M

--
Dr Michael F Platten

In the summer the University of Cincinnati puts on a Modal Analysis course. It is broken into a number of different sessions such as testing methods, modal theory, modal parameter estimation and so on. They are taught by Randy Allemang, David Brown, and others in the Structural Dynamics Research Laboratory (SDRL). You should look into it because they will cover the ins and outs of shaker testing and impact testing in the tsting methods course.

I attended the 3 day course on modal analysis at UC but not the structural testing course. That course was a good starting point and now I am trying to get into the details of various modal analysis methods. Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back